Searching for a GOOD pumpernickle recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for a GOOD pumpernickle recipe

yes, i have googled it...........but i am looking for someone here, who actually and made a good/great dark rye bread.

the place we used to get pumpernickle hoagies, stopped selling em........i can find the bread loaf everywhere, but i will now have to make the hoagies, for a small sub type sandwich..............

anyone make a pumpernickle hoagie type loaf here?

TIA

seeds and stems forever...........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

What the hell is seeds & stems forever!......
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
      What the hell is seeds & stems forever!......
      same as Richs, seeds and smoke forever........LOL

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I'm still Laff'in WD...
        On edit: ya know that just don't get old... sorry I'm about to crap me pants laff'in...Heeeee
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
          I'm still Laff'in WD...
          On edit: ya know that just don't get old... sorry I'm about to crap me pants laff'in...Heeeee
          He had me scared Zeek....ya know some of them ol hippies don't change their bong water!...... Dude...j/k, ya know I appreciate ya!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
            He had me scared Zeek....ya know some of them ol hippies don't change their bong water!...... Dude...j/k, ya know I appreciate ya!
            my Tommy Chong Bong gets fresh water EVERY day..........its even R/O water.........

Comment

If I can find that bread book at my dads house I will copy that recipe. I have a different one that he had printed and sent to me. The book is "Secrets of a Jewish Baker"

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                If I can find that bread book at my dads house I will copy that recipe. I have a different one that he had printed and sent to me. The book is "Secrets of a Jewish Baker"
                Well it happens that.........................No I don't have the book, but I have made the bread. From this recipe which is from "Secrets of a Jewish Baker."

Pumpernickel Bread

This is a very good bread. The kids didn't care for it though. Go figure.

WD, this is a very good bread forum. Have there hundred's times, but only recently joined.

Tom

Comment

thankx gunny............nice color and crumb on that loaf............

Comment

Well that made my job simpler. They sure do have some nice looking bread pic's on there.

Comment

Gunny...........do you use altus? if you do, can you explain using it abit better than the link you sent me?

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                        Gunny...........do you use altus? if you do, can you explain using it abit better than the link you sent me?
                        I have not. And to use that method you need stale rye bread. Here is what I found. It's a little better explanation, I think.

For those not in the know, altus is stale rye bread with the crust cut off, cut into cubes and soaked in water, then wrung out and incorporated into the dough of a new loaf of rye or pumpernickel. It is said to have a beneficial effect on the texture of the bread, and my experience certainly corroborates this.

Greenstein uses cold water and lets the altus soak overnight. My schedule did not permit this so I used hot water, and it saturated the rye bread cubes in 10 minutes. Wringing it out only resulted in first degree burns.

Tom

Comment

that would seem to me to have chunks in the dough? or does it disolve somewhat?

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                            that would seem to me to have chunks in the dough? or does it disolve somewhat?
                            Not sure Steve. Maybe it's another kind of food for the yeast.

Tom

Comment

from this website, i found this

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/ingredients.html

Altus
                              according to George Greenstein's "Secrets of a Jewish Baker", altus is the secret of good rye bread. Altus is left-over ground-up rye bread, soaked in water. To make altus, cut the crusts from a loaf of bread, soak it in water for several hours, or overnight, under refrigeration. It will keep several weeks under refrigeration. Use small amounts in bread dough, pressing water out of it. This will intensify the taste of the rye bread, make it a moister bread. You will have to adjust the hydration of your dough when you use altus, probably adding a bit more flour.
                              so i guess you grind it up..............

Comment

Working...
                              X