Pork Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Shoulder

Alright. So I got a good deal on a 6lb. pork shoulder, and am curious as to how long it is safe to have in the fridge, without freezing it. I think I can get to it tomorrow, but if not, how long it will last in the fridge would be good info to have. Any thoughts on this would be great.

I've never kept one more than about 10 days, and thats in my meat drawer, which stays about 34 degrees. I know you can age beef for considerably longer than that, but I worry about pork, especially something with a lot of fat like a pork butt, going rancid. If you pull it out and it smells bad, chuck it. I've seen people rinse it off and cook it anyway, but not me.
    Does it have a sell or freeze by date?
    Avid Meatatarian
    Remember, it's not just a choice, its a lifestyle!

Comment

If its in cryo and you know the packing date then its usually 2-4 weeks from that date. If its not in cryo, I agree with hammer, 7-10 days.
      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by hammerpb View Post
        Does it have a sell or freeze by date?
        No, no date. Looks very fresh, but I am going to smoke it tomorrow, will be my first one, I'm too excited to wait. Besides, the temps here in the Portland Metro are hanging around the 60's, and I want to see the how the MMP will hold up. Going to rub it tonight, throw it on in the morning. Thank you for the imput.

Comment

If its the first one you've done yourself, you are in for a treat. Butts are versatile and forgiving, not to mention DELICIOUS!!! Make sure you save and defat the juices that come out when you rest it and pull it. Add it back for moisture, and prepare to bask in the complements of whoever eats it.
          Dang, now I'm hungry!
          Avid Meatatarian
          Remember, it's not just a choice, its a lifestyle!

Comment

Pork give me porrrrk
            Chargriller Pro w. sfb
            Ducane 4100 propane grill
            Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Working...
            X