Thresher shark...ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thresher shark...ideas?

I recently received a large Thresher shark steak along with some Yellow fin tuna. I would like to put some smoke to these, in separate smokes. Are there any recommendations, this wise and wonderful forum, could give me? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

No I don't think I wanna make sausage out of it....
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Make sausage outta it? ....

How about a Terriyaki style brine with some Soy sauce & Brown Sugar/Pineapple?.... I have never smoked shark, but have done lots of Salmon/Steelhead/Sturgeon & Halibut a few times. I am guessing it is very dense white meat, like a Halibut. Personally, I like Alder or Vine Maple smoke on fish & not a lot of it, Hickory if I'm outta the other stuff.

Whatever you choose, keep us posted.
    sigpic

Comment

I've cooked a fair bit of shark and swordfish.

Nothing like halibut.
      It's a real firm meat - more like a legged animal product than a fish.
      Also tends to be strongly flavoured.

I usually dice, quick olive oil and balsamic vinegar marinade and grill.

if you're smoking a large piece. treat it like pork loin and you shouldn't go far wrong.

i'd probably use a honey, balsamic vinegar & evoo marinade (equal parts of each) with some chipotle powder mixed in.
      Smoke on a fairly high heat (around 250-300) till the centre's about 145.

(damn I'm making myself drool here lol)

try that :-)
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

for the shark i'd add a little garlic & black pepper to some mayo & slather that on.shark is a dry meat.

the ahi (yf tuna) sea salt & cracked black. quick sear over mesquite.think a rare filet mignon
        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
        cast iron Hibachi
        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
        & rotisserator
        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
        my music recordings-
        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

lemon zest and fresh cracked black pepper are always good on fish... evoo, and maybe some sirachi pepper sauce if you want to kick it up a bit...

sigpic

Comment

I have had mako shark with a cajun seasoned breading and deep fried. Also just seasoned and grill. Very good. Never had thresher. As far as the ahi...I'd slice it and eat it raw with a bit of wasabi and fresh ginger! If you cook it, dont cook it long. Like B-n-C said treat it like a rare filet!

Comment

shark is good. no bones.

I have never smoked shark. always seemed to deep fry it. But this might work and should work on the smoker. since a lot of us use mustard as a base to have the rub adhere to the meat.

I make a slit in the meat and make a mixture of culantro, scotts bonnets, onion, lime and mustard. put in a blender and liquify. fill the slits and coat in mustard mixture,(if frying it, flour coat.) fish does not take long. it should flake easy with a fork when done. the peppers are hot. you may want to adjust.
              of course cold beer would be in order and a nice slaw.
              enjoy yer shark.
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Thank you all for the great input! I am looking forward to this and will post when I do smoke it. Happy smokes to all y'all!!
                Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X