Well It's about time you lot were introduced to a REAL sport lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well It's about time you lot were introduced to a REAL sport lol

It's the six nations rugby torunament for the next month or 2.

A round robin set of matches between: England, Ireland, scotland, Wales, France and Italy.
    So I suspect most you will claim ancestry from at least one of the competing countries.

So what is rugby ?

Well think of it like a version of football where they don't wear pansified armour and every player has to stay on the field till he's carried off or substituted, none of this playing for 2 minutes then sitting down for a rest. Generally the only way to remove a rugby player through injury is to break a limb or knock him out. Blood injuries just get bandaged up - ears get strapped back on etc.

In fact, cross the man on man violence of hockey with the sheer impact of football (again without the sissy padding ;-) and then throw in the sheer end to end excitement of basketball and add the strategy and rule complexity of baseball and you've got rugby union.

It's alone with baseball as being the only sport where you'll find a skinny 5 foot six guy going up against a six foot seven 19 stone wall of muscle.
    Only in rugby it's the little guys you have to watch out for - they're at testicle biting level for the brutes ;-)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7857218.stm

Despite being runners up in the world cup last year (yes a competition where MORE then one nation competed and called a world cup - even america had a team in it ;-) englands form is looking a bit dodgy and last years champs the welsh have started well by stuffing the french (always cause for celebration in the aardvark household whenever anyone beats france at anything - even the welsh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=oG15tc07--s
    everyone needs a daft song :-)

http://www.youtube.com/v/krDf1quYZnA&hl=en&fs=1
    And a silly advert

http://www.youtube.com/v/1l46i4frrts&hl=en&fs=1
    And a taster of the game :-)

(I tried the embedding video thing and for some reason it didn't work - yep I switched the editor mode off first - weird, worked this morning)

So take a look, grab a beer and have a look round your local cable stations or sports bars - 2 matches saturday and one sunday.
    And england and wales saturday evening (gmt) so I'll either be expectantly dispondent sunday or chuffed to bits.

Oh yeah and ireland started well by stuffing the scots (who are with italy the weakest teams in the competition)
    So it's shaping up to be a bloody good tournament, pull up a chair and prepare to be educated :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
    It's alone with baseball as being the only sport where you'll find a skinny 5 foot six guy going up against a six foot seven 19 stone wall of muscle.

That happens in football all the time. Ask any cornerback who has been run over by a pulling guard. 185lb vs 290lb at full speed.

Comment

geez, couple a them ladies even had helmets on... j/k I love to watch rugby... just not too much of it playing here in Okla freakin Homa... most of that looks like another saturday night party out in a field... LOL

sigpic

Comment

I had a wrestling coach in high school who played semi-pro rugby. He was probably one of the toughest guys I have ever met.
        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

I've watched rugby several times but have no idea what is going on. Big pile of players hovering over the ball, pushing back and forth, then all of a sudden someone comes out of the pile with the ball and starts running with others chasing then the guy with the ball just stops and kicks it.

CA, would you call this a fairly good uninformed observation?
          sigpic

GOSM/propane
          UDS (Cam)/lump
          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
          Weber Genesis/propane
          Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Rugby is for countries who don't have enough skills to play Hockey!

Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
              Rugby is for countries who don't have enough skills to play Hockey!

Or REAL Football

Brinkmann Smokin' Pit Deluxe: heavy gauge, modified
              Weber 22.5 Gold
              Weber Smokie Joe

"Racing Cars and Smokin' Q, what else is there to do ?"

Comment

I've played some rugby and I played football up to semipro. Rugby is no joke. It's not as complex as football but it sure ain't for sissies. Rugby will eff up even the biggest meanest dude at least once a game.

Comment

Soo...will they have really cool commercials and a rocking half time show??
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by ChadTower View Post
                    I've played some rugby and I played football up to semipro. Rugby is no joke. It's not as complex as football but it sure ain't for sissies. Rugby will eff up even the biggest meanest dude at least once a game.
                    We used to call it "Smear the Queer" the queer being the guy with the ball... not - well you know. Very similar.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      We used to call it "Smear the Queer" the queer being the guy with the ball... not - well you know. Very similar.
                      You just brought back a flood of backyard memories. Couldn't call a game that these days though.
                      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

We played that too but called it Murder. The name was closer to what we actually did. Some kid got grapefruits and would grab the ball... or the ball would get stuffed into someone's shirt and he'd have to run for his life. Either way someone was getting the ball and getting murdered.

Comment

Rugby ain't for the sissy at heart... those guys are seriously serious about what ever the hell the game is about!

I put it right up there with giving my cat a bath...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by solar View Post
                            Or REAL Football

and football is for sissy's who can't skate....;)

2 Weber Kettles
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
                            Brinkman ECB
                            Charbroil 940X
                            Project UDS
                            Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

Originally posted by roadrunr View Post
                              and football is for sissy's who can't skate....;)
                              Ahem... they are different seasons... I grew up playing both.

Comment

Working...
                              X