6 Tbs. salt
    4 tsp. Prague powder
    1 Tbs. mace
    8 tsp. white pepper
    1 Tbs. nutmeg
    2 tsp. ginger
    4 eggs
    4 cups powdered milk

Grind meat through a fine plate. Mix spices together and add to meat with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Stuff into hog casings. Link and place in simmering water for 20 minutes. Remove and cool under cold running water until cool to touch. Separate the links and package.

I have ground and spiced the meat. Now taking a break awaiting a few buddies to drop in for their Friday morning Libation. Then I'll stuff and take pics. Q view to follow.
    Col. Big Guy

Lookin forward to it! Like the recipe!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I CAN NOT find mace in my area

Is there anything I could substitute for it?

Thanks for posting this one & looking forward to the pics.
      sigpic

Comment

Recipe sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the finish.
        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

I was wondering what the cure is for? I mean, I KNOW what the cure is used for, but seeing as how this is boiled for 20 min and not smoked.... I wonder which one would taste better cured or not. I know I like ham better than roast pork!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by TxBigRed View Post
            I was wondering what the cure is for? I mean, I KNOW what the cure is used for, but seeing as how this is boiled for 20 min and not smoked.... I wonder which one would taste better cured or not. I know I like ham better than roast pork!

Dave
            Me too.

Tom

Comment

fishawn...found on the web, maybe this helps mace Notes: This is the lacy wrapping that covers nutmeg when it's plucked from the tree. Its flavor is similar to nutmeg, but slightly more bitter. It's usually sold already ground, but you can sometimes find blades of mace that you can grind yourself. Substitutes: nutmeg (sweeter and milder than mace) OR allspice OR pumpkin pie spice OR cinnamon OR ginger

Comment

oh my, I thought it was something else.
                sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

The brats stuffed and linked

I tie off each link to prevent unravelling during poaching. Note water temp is kept at 180F not boiled. If you boil them you can toughen the skin.

into the ice water bath to cool down

All de-linked and packaged ready for the freezer or Q

Project #2 I stuffed some Pepperoni They will go in the smoker tomorrow.

Q view tomorrow for the Pepperoni sticks.
                  Col. Big Guy

Comment

Originally posted by TxBigRed View Post

Dave
                    Your right you don't need cure for botulism protection in this recipe. Its there for the right colour. If you don't mind grey sausages leave it out.
                    Col. Big Guy

Comment

Looks great Big Guy. What type of milk?
                      Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
                        Your right you don't need cure for botulism protection in this recipe. Its there for the right colour. If you don't mind grey sausages leave it out.
                        Cool. I would think it would add to the flavor also.

Dave

Comment

interesting recipe, looks good - I notice that you went for a fairly coarse grind. Just wondering if that makes much difference on the simmered sausage ?

I'd automatically go for a fine grind on boiled and coarse on most everything else.
                          Any chance of a fried one sliced ?
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Cajunsmoke13 View Post
                            Looks great Big Guy. What type of milk?
                            What ever kind you have. I use just regular whole milk
                            Col. Big Guy

Comment

Fine batch.....look great!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X