"Maceless" Brat's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Maceless" Brat's?

I can not find Mace anywhere in my town. 4 supermarkets & nothing. Is there anything that I can substitue for Mace?..... Or does anyone have agood Brat recipe that don't include Mace. Thanks!
    sigpic

fish try www.Penzeys.com they have it as I am sure any mail order spice company will. They are quick on there turn around. I googles a sub for mace and there is a lot info there.
    If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
    Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      I can not find Mace anywhere in my town. 4 supermarkets & nothing. Is there anything that I can substitue for Mace?..... Or does anyone have agood Brat recipe that don't include Mace. Thanks!
      Don't know if it will help, but..............
      Spice Substitution Chart

Tom

Comment

Thanks Fella's, looks like I will have to order it online. Appreciate your help.
        sigpic

Comment

PM me buddy, I can get ya some...
          I found it very interesting that you could sub, nutmeg, ginger, allspice for mace... and the brat recipe had mace, nutmeg and ginger.. I will tell you once you smell the mace (well at least for me) I could really taste it in the brats.. its a familiar taste but I could really pick it out above all the other flavors...
          Seriously Scott let me know I will send you some!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

given the price and relative availability of mace - these days I just use nutmegs.

One tip: if you can get whole nutmegs - sometimes they have the outer casing left on (this is mace).
            But for the brats I just use a whole nutmeg per 5lb mix.
            Mace and nutmeg are slightly different, but not sufficiently to worry about it :-)
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I have seen the photo of the mace surrounding the nutmeg before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nutmeg_Zanz41.JPG

Hmmm nutmeg brownies anyone.

[edit] Psychoactivity and toxicity
              In low doses, nutmeg produces no noticeable physiological or neurological response. Large doses can be dangerous (potentially inducing convulsions, palpitations, nausea, eventual dehydration, and generalized body pain).[4] In large amounts it is reputed to be a strong deliriant.[5] Users report both negative and positive experiences, involving strong hallucinations, and in some cases quite severe anxiety. Users may feel a sensation of blood rushing to the head, or a strong euphoria and dissociation.[citation needed] Nutmeg contains myristicin, a weak monoamine oxidase inhibitor.

Comment

Working...
              X