Sriracha & Pineapple Chicken Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sriracha & Pineapple Chicken Sausage

I would like to thank Abelman for the inspiration on this project & I hope he approves of this "take" of it & his ideas..... Abelman's chicken Wing recipe is getting near legendary status..... just check it out for yourself !

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...?threadid=3896

This is my "take" on trying to make a fresh grilling sausage with a similar flavor to that of what Abelman ended up with on his smoking wings. I realize that you can not "duplicate" grilling when smoking, or vice-versa, but thought Abelmans ingredients were to good to pass up.

(THANKS ABELMAN! )

As y'all know, making sausage out of chicken is totally different than marinating, grilling & or smoking it, but the ingredients are what make it IMO..... I really liked Abelmans ingredients & positive feedback, so here it goes..... The finished sausages were GOOD Grilled (I think I grilled it a little too long)...... It was GREAT Smoked finishing temp @ 180* ...... And the Hickory added something the grill did not.....

Here's the recipe I used:

_ 2# Chicken Thighs, about 80% of skin included
    _ 1-1.5# Chicken breast
    - 2 TBSN Honey
    - 2 TBSN Brown Sugar
    1/3 Cup Sriracha
    2/3 Cup Pineapple Preserves (others?)

FOR ME the ratio of Heat to sweet seemed just about right...

Attached Files
    Last edited by Fishawn; 10-11-2009, 10:56 AM. Reason: Added pictures
    sigpic

Sounds great, how about some pics? I like the idea of the pineapple

Thanks for the kind words as well.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Sorry for the shamless bump...
      Got pictures now!
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds pretty good to me!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Sooo...what about the fat content... they look SLIGHTLY "crumbly" how was the moisture? I have never had great luck with pure chicken sausage, I think due to fat...

Perhaps some type of binding filler? Oats? LOL! Something I gotta play with, as the chicken stuff I have done is well liked by others... I'm just picky I guess.

Love the flavor profile here tho for sure!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Sorry for the shamless bump...
            Got pictures now!

hey, glad ya did. great smoke.
            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Sooo...what about the fat content... they look SLIGHTLY "crumbly" how was the moisture? I have never had great luck with pure chicken sausage, I think due to fat...

Perhaps some type of binding filler? Oats? LOL! Something I gotta play with, as the chicken stuff I have done is well liked by others... I'm just picky I guess.

Love the flavor profile here tho for sure!
              I'm not a big fan of fat in chicken sausage personally. I think if you wanted to "fatten it up" a bit you could use all thighs & all the skin. I trimmed it down to about 80% of the skin included. The moisture content on the grilled ones was fair, due to my ~OVER~ grilling them. The smoked ones had good moisture to them.

As far as "crumbly" ..... hmmmmm.... I think the visual on that based on the pictures would be right..... The ones I ~OVER~ grilled were definately drier than the ones I cooked in the MES to 180*.....

In the stuffing process, as an experiment, I stuffed the casings VERY loose, so I could link them easily, which is probably part of the reason they look sorta "crumbly". Next time when filling the casings, I will pack em solid.

I want to try this next on pork with a 70/30 or so ratio. I think the sweetness of pork may be outstanding for these ingredients & the sweet/hot profile. (Insert dancing white chicken sausage icon here.... Ken?)
              sigpic

Comment

Scott, that looks and sounds fantastic! Nice job!
                jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

They look good Scott.
                  I think the way you do, that those ingredients would go perfect with pork.
                  for creativity.

Tom

Comment

another fine job Scott keep up the good work

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Working...
                    X