Italian style artichokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian style artichokes

Actually we used to get them 2 ways...the full sized 'chokes were stuffed and steamed, the baby ones roasted or sautee'd in garlic butter and lemon. The stuffed are my favorites, but the babys are a treat as well.

Large 'chokes: Lop the tops off to the point you can JUST see the center of the choke. Peel off the outer most leaves, and chop the stem off to leave a flat base. Open the 'choke up and rince out the inside with cool water, shaking it out to remove excess water. Set aside.

In a bowl mix one half breadcrumbs and one half grated parm cheese. A total of 2 cups should do 4 chokes. Add perhaps a level teaspoon of Kosher to the mix.

Get a deep pot with lid big enough to hold the chokes, and add about 1.5 inches of water...just enough to cover up the bases of the chokes. Add a shot of lemon juice and a teaspoon of Kosher.

In another bowl, set a 'choke and cover it's top with the mix. Work the choke open and allow the mix to fall in between the leaves...add more mix...etc. until no more falls in. Build a shallow mix "cap" on choke and place a pat of butter on it. Place 'choke in pot. Repeat. Clean stems and toss in pot too!

Set pot to simmering covered. After like 10 min. of simmering, open and move the 'chokes a bit so they do not stick to the bottom and burn, and repeat this about 20 min. in. They will need at least 40 min. to cook... keep yer eye on the water level too of course.

They will be done when you can grab a leave and it comes off with no effort.

Place in bowl, and provide another bowl for "discards"

To eat, grasp the leaves, insert the fleshy end up into mouth, closing teeth gently about half way up and "drag" the leaf out... scraping the yummy stuffing and fleshy leaf base off into your mouth. Repeat 100 times..LOL!

When you get to the "choke" take a fork handle and insert at the line between the "choke" and the heart on a slight downward angle, and work around, cutting the choke from the heart. Lightly salt the heart and ENJOY!

Baby 'Chokes: Peel off all green leaves and clean as above. Split in half length wise and place in buttered roasting dish. Crack some pepper, add some salt and pour a garlic butter/lemon juice/dry white wine mix into roasting pan.

Roast covered for a few min at 325, then uncover to help concentrate the juice. You can also use some grated parm at this point to the 'choke and brown it up before serving. These should only take perhaps 20 min., and are done when "fork tender".
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

My wife does them similar (she's Italian). She mixes in some granulated garlic, Italian seasoning and a shake of red pepper flakes along with the bread crumbs and parmesan. Instead of the pat of butter, she drizzles olive oil over them. Thanks for the reminder, Rich. I'm off to the grocery store!
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
      My wife does them similar (she's Italian). She mixes in some granulated garlic, Italian seasoning and a shake of red pepper flakes along with the bread crumbs and parmesan. Instead of the pat of butter, she drizzles olive oil over them. Thanks for the reminder, Rich. I'm off to the grocery store!
      Yup...an alternate I have had..but not with the pepper...Hmmm..I might enjoy that! Thank YOU for the twist!

I should have mentioned: Not a "plug" but I think Progresso brand Italian breadcrumbs are the best there is... :{)
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'm way overdue eatin artichoke....may hafta do some plannin & get after some. Like both ya'lls recipe!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Boy that does sound good. a must try, thanks.

Comment

Richtee I love those things. But have never kinew how to make them. Thanks I am going to try her out and learn to make em good.
            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I think I recall some peeps smoking them? Ever done that? Any Good?

Your way of preparing them is the best way though
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X