Rotisserie Thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotisserie Thighs

In order to do some information gathering for the turkey I am going to smoke on the UDS rotisserie this Saturday, I decided to sacrifice some chicken things to the fire gods. The purpose was a test run at getting the drum up to (but not horifficly past ) 350° and keeping it there with the rotiss ring on.

So, here are the thighs in the rotiss basket . . .

One tray of them fits quite nicely in the basket. Went with pretty simple seasoning -- coarse ground black pepper, salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Pulled the skin back to get the seasoning on the meat and then flipped and did the other side.

Since I was only doing a small batch of thighs, I used the small ring in the charcoal basket and filled the basket only about 1/4 full. Lit 10 briquettes, dumped them in the charcoal basket and let the drum come up to temp fairly slow. I put one cap on at 200° the other cap on at 250° and left the valve open. It settle in at 300° so I put the basket on. After the initial spike and settle down, it was chugging along at about 310° which was somewhat surprising so I started opening up caps. Had both caps off and it was running around 350ish after about 20 minutes. I was kind of surprised. I didn't think I would have to open the valves all the way to get it up there.

Here are the thighs after about 45 minutes.

I let 'em go about an hour and 15 then removed the lid to brush on a little Sweet Baby Rays. I left the valves open while I did this thinking the temp would shoot up close to 400° and it would crisp up the skin real nice.

Well the temp only came up to around 340° and then slowly started to fall. Shortly thereafter I was having trouble keeping it at 300°. It appeared that my smallish load of fuel was really starting to wane which was inconvenient since dinnertime was fast approaching. Oops, forgot my own recommendation which is start with more fuel than you'll think you'll need.

So, after an hour and 45 I took them off.

Poked them with the Thermapen and they were high 150s and low 160s. Crap!! Oh well into the , um, er, oven they went for about 30 minutes.

After they came out of the oven, they were delicious though and we proceeded to

But . . . from an information gathering point of view, it was good. I will start with a MUCH fuller basket with the large ring instead of the small ring. It'll be interesting to see what the drum can do with a 12 pound turkey in there. Got some butchers twine so I can properly truss the legs and wings and am looking forward to it. Right now it is in the neighbor's freezer froze solid. I'll get it out on Tuesday evening for it's Saturday date with the drum.

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
      In order to do some information gathering for the turkey I am going to smoke on the UDS rotisserie this Saturday, I decided to sacrifice some chicken things to the fire gods. The purpose was a test run at getting the drum up to (but not horifficly past ) 350° and keeping it there with the rotiss ring on.

So, here are the thighs in the rotiss basket . . .

One tray of them fits quite nicely in the basket. Went with pretty simple seasoning -- coarse ground black pepper, salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Pulled the skin back to get the seasoning on the meat and then flipped and did the other side.

Since I was only doing a small batch of thighs, I used the small ring in the charcoal basket and filled the basket only about 1/4 full. Lit 10 briquettes, dumped them in the charcoal basket and let the drum come up to temp fairly slow. I put one cap on at 200° the other cap on at 250° and left the valve open. It settle in at 300° so I put the basket on. After the initial spike and settle down, it was chugging along at about 310° which was somewhat surprising so I started opening up caps. Had both caps off and it was running around 350ish after about 20 minutes. I was kind of surprised. I didn't think I would have to open the valves all the way to get it up there.

Here are the thighs after about 45 minutes.

I let 'em go about an hour and 15 then removed the lid to brush on a little Sweet Baby Rays. I left the valves open while I did this thinking the temp would shoot up close to 400° and it would crisp up the skin real nice.

Well the temp only came up to around 340° and then slowly started to fall. Shortly thereafter I was having trouble keeping it at 300°. It appeared that my smallish load of fuel was really starting to wane which was inconvenient since dinnertime was fast approaching. Oops, forgot my own recommendation which is start with more fuel than you'll think you'll need.

So, after an hour and 45 I took them off.

Poked them with the Thermapen and they were high 150s and low 160s. Crap!! Oh well into the , um, er, oven they went for about 30 minutes.

After they came out of the oven, they were delicious though and we proceeded to

But . . . from an information gathering point of view, it was good. I will start with a MUCH fuller basket with the large ring instead of the small ring. It'll be interesting to see what the drum can do with a 12 pound turkey in there. Got some butchers twine so I can properly truss the legs and wings and am looking forward to it. Right now it is in the neighbor's freezer froze solid. I'll get it out on Tuesday evening for it's Saturday date with the drum.

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Dave
      Dave, great thighs there. Any idea how long the 12# turkeys gonna take on the drum?.. I am a MES user, so no clue on charcoal and times. The rotissere thing is cool too,
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        Any idea how long the 12# turkeys gonna take on the drum?.. I am a MES user, so no clue on charcoal and times. The rotissere thing is cool too,
        Not really. I figure somewhere between 3 and 4 hours if I can keep it at 350°. I'll probably start checking it at 3 and 1/2 hours and go from there.

Dave
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Mmmmmm Dave!! Nice job....They look soo goood!!
          jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Very nice indeed! Seems like yer right on course! Last turkey I did- fried- I did the brine thing. Consider it if you have a fresh bird MMM!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Very nice job DDave, It's time...
              ---------------------------------------------------
              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Those are some good looking thighs. Your rotisserie rig is awesome. Can't wait to see the big bird on there Nice smoke!
                Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Nice Dave. One a the things I asked momma Santa Clause fer was the ribolator, of course ya gotta have the rotiss to go with it! Bird looks good!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
                    Nice Dave. One a the things I asked momma Santa Clause fer was the ribolator, of course ya gotta have the rotiss to go with it! Bird looks good!
                    Thanks, Tip.

Yeah, the Rib-o-lator is cool. It will be on my Christmas list as well -- along with the Rytek Kutas book and Peace, Love, and BBQ. Don't know what I'll end up getting for Christmas but my birthday is in February so I can always try again.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Cool Dave, mines in Feb to, although gettin ta the point I don't know if I wan't anymore!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X