Great News! Brand New Drums!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great News! Brand New Drums!

I borrowed a big wrench from my good friend and neighbor who lives across the street from me to remove the bung plug from a barrel that I'm working on to make a UDS and when he brought it over he saw the barrel I'm working on. I'd already had a fire in it, cut the bottom out so the Weber lid would fit, wire brushed on it for a few hours and was moving bung plugs from another barrel to it, when he said "Hold on, I think we have some drums at work that I might be able to get". Yesterday he went to work and asked about them and was told that he could buy all he wanted for $30.00 apiece. The company he works for services the gas pumps at gas stations and they use these drums to pump gas into test and meter the pumps. I have no idea what they do with them once their used, but the ones he can get for me are brand new and unlined. He's bringing me one tomorrow, so I get to start all over again. They are the type with the clamp on lids, so I may have to cut the bottom out of this one too to get the lid to fit. Luckily I have my charcoal basket made already and all the grills and hardware bought. It should be just a matter of drilling some holes and puttin it together. Being new and unlined, I don't know if I need to burn it out or just wash it and run a load of charcoal up as hot as I can get it, then season it.

I'm in for one sir... if ya can!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
      Being new and unlined, I don't know if I need to burn it out or just wash it and run a load of charcoal up as hot as I can get it, then season it.
      If it is new and unlined, it may have a rust preventitive in it. If so, just wash it out with hot soapy water (Tide seems to be popular) then go for it.

If it is bare metal with no film of any kind, drill, build, season, and cook.

I wish I lived closer. That's a great deal for $30.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        I'm in for one sir... if ya can!
        Rich, he's supposedly bringing my drum tomorrow. Once it's here I'll check it over to let you know what it's like and take some pics for ya to see. If they're good drums, easy to work with, I just may place an ad in our paper for salvaged Weber lids and make a few smokers to sell too.

Comment

That's a heck of a deal. Beats the the snot out of having to do a burn out, that's for darn sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
            I borrowed a big wrench from my good friend and neighbor who lives across the street from me to remove the bung plug from a barrel that I'm working on to make a UDS and when he brought it over he saw the barrel I'm working on. I'd already had a fire in it, cut the bottom out so the Weber lid would fit, wire brushed on it for a few hours and was moving bung plugs from another barrel to it, when he said "Hold on, I think we have some drums at work that I might be able to get". Yesterday he went to work and asked about them and was told that he could buy all he wanted for $30.00 apiece. The company he works for services the gas pumps at gas stations and they use these drums to pump gas into test and meter the pumps. I have no idea what they do with them once their used, but the ones he can get for me are brand new and unlined. He's bringing me one tomorrow, so I get to start all over again. They are the type with the clamp on lids, so I may have to cut the bottom out of this one too to get the lid to fit. Luckily I have my charcoal basket made already and all the grills and hardware bought. It should be just a matter of drilling some holes and puttin it together. Being new and unlined, I don't know if I need to burn it out or just wash it and run a load of charcoal up as hot as I can get it, then season it.
            Nice score!

I bought a new for my first build and it cost me $65 from Dewitt Barrel. You shouldn't have any problem finding older kettles on CL to snag their lids.
            ________
            Penny stocks to watch
            Last edited by Rich Parker; 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM.
            WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

Rich, most Webers that I see on Cl are going for $40.00 plus and are an hours drive. The two that I have I pulled from someone's trash on trash day. I'm going to try contacting metal pickers that drive around scavenging metals from folks trash and buy the lids from them. If not I'll try a news paper ad.

Comment

Great score MichChef. hope it works out...
                ---------------------------------------------------
                I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                KCBS CBJ

Comment

I don't think a kettle for $40 or less is a bad deal. Considering you get a cooking grate, lid, and the charcoal grate.

I have seen some folks on another forum use these lids on their UDS. They list for $40 but I am sure if you watch you can get them on sale.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...Specifications
                  ________
                  Ford pilot history
                  Last edited by Rich Parker; 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM.
                  WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

Working...
                  X