3 year old Habanero and a Cross-Pollinated Pepper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 year old Habanero and a Cross-Pollinated Pepper

Pulled my Hab out of garden in 2007.Have root pruned and trimmed stalk back and re-poted last 2 years....This can be done with any pepper.You need a sunny window and warmth to encourage the first shoots.Will be dormant a few months and grow super slow.....

Getting its first shoot of year in march

In august

Today.Going to make jerk chicken with them soon....Dehydrate the rest.

I had trouble germinating cayene from old seed and used some from last years dehydrated.....

5-6 planted from dehydrated were true cayene

Cayene

This is the one that was cross-polinated.It has corking like a jap,but no heat and not much flavor

Cross on left of true cayene

This is my first ever volunteer pepper.This jap sprouted after freezing winter.It is not big,but had to keep it....

You've got some talent with those peppers Alex!!
    Keith

Comment

Man that is pretty cool....had a Jap that has come back 2 yrs. now. Think i'll trim it back & see if it will rock for another year!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Fantastic peppers. I grew Habs once , no fruit the first year so I brought it in for the winter, second year it was loaded. They were just too dang hot for me. I made a big pot of Jambalaya put one pepper and seeds in. First bite I think wow thats got a little kickbut not bad. second bite wow that is hot. third bite WOW this is too hot to eat. Where is the milk.
        Col. Big Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
          Fantastic peppers. I grew Habs once , no fruit the first year so I brought it in for the winter, second year it was loaded. They were just too dang hot for me. I made a big pot of Jambalaya put one pepper and seeds in. First bite I think wow thats got a little kickbut not bad. second bite wow that is hot. third bite WOW this is too hot to eat. Where is the milk.
          These scotch bonnet are not hell hot-do not no why.They are hot though.
          The jerk i make seems to mellow out heat and bring out the fruity flavor.
          The powder can be much hotter-guess the dehydrating intensifies heat.....

Thanks for kind words everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
            To flavor beans or stews with habanero, I like to wrap a couple in cheesecloth and take them out after a couple or three hours. Still leaves plenty of heat.
            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
              To flavor beans or stews with habanero, I like to wrap a couple in cheesecloth and take them out after a couple or three hours. Still leaves plenty of heat.
              KEITH-that is a FANTASTIC idea.Thank you very much

Comment

Alx wrote
                These scotch bonnet are not hell hot-do not no why.They are hot though.
                The jerk i make seems to mellow out heat and bring out the fruity flavor.
                The powder can be much hotter-guess the dehydrating intensifies heat.....

sounds like to much water. you may try letting them go with out water untill they start wilting for a couple days then water them.
                habs have a great taste with plenty heat normally. If I want their taste and a little heat from them. They get cooked whle. then take them out and squish them / it in a bowl then remove pepper add juice mix around then reincorperate into the food.
                If you like those and have not tried the scottts bonnet you may want to do so. very hot with wonderfull flavors. for most, the heat must be tamed to really enjoy the flavor of the pepper. makes wonderfull cerviche.

http://blog.phaseonesurf.com/wp-cont.../barbados5.jpg (scotts bonnetts)

http://www.seedfest.co.uk/seeds/pepp...e/habanero.jpg (habs)

there is a big diifernce in the two.
                Last edited by Kyote; 10-13-2009, 10:24 PM. Reason: pepper up date
                sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                  KEITH-that is a FANTASTIC idea.Thank you very much
                  Was thinkin the same thing! Like it!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Nice pepper works Alex! Love the red in them just beautiful. I was wantin' and wonderin' about saving my jap plants this year. Thanks for sharing!
                    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X