Meat Grinder - Gear Reduction Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat Grinder - Gear Reduction Drive

A friend of mine is looking at putting together a motor driven grinder and asked my opinion on the following gear reduction drive.
    eBay item # 270446765294

Personally I do not think a "for home use" cordless 3/8" drill or a 3/8" electric drill would work out well. I think a heavy duty 1/2" drill might work but the motor isn't designed for long running times and also do not think drills spin at high enough rpm's to hook up to a 33:1 gear reduction, I feel the grinder would be turning too slow.

But I do think a 1725 rpm 1/2 HP electric motor would work; the grinder should be turning at around 52 rpm's. Ths is a tad slow but I feel it would work.

I am curious what other members thoughts are and also wondering if anyone else has ever tried one of these gear reduction drives? Thanks in advance for any replys !!!
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Ain't happenin....that worm gear will not stand up! Tell him to get something else. Dang Louie.....dint wan't em to waste $$$.
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

MOSSY ! ! !! ..........you HAVE a motor driven grinder.........have him put together summing like THAT..........its a WONDERFUL machine.........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I'd have him invest in a big pulley an a washin machine motor. Cheaper in the long run an will last lots longer. I don't think the drills gonna cut it an bet them gears in that reduction won't like the strain either. Just my guess on it.
        sigpic

Comment

WD and tracoman45
          I appreciate the help, but my friend wants to set it up with more of a direct drive with out using a pulley. This is how I constructed my grinder - http://www.sausagemania.com/grinder.html - I put mine together quite a few years ago, it works great but for simplicity and safety I wouldn't mind finding a gear reduction solution for direct drive either.
          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
            Ain't happenin....that worm gear will not stand up! Tell him to get something else. Dang Louie.....dint wan't em to waste $$$.
            i disagree the worm will probably work it all depends on the load and torque of the unit ..i have been selling and designing reducers for 16 years and it all depends of how much you want to do at a given time.....
            just look at the speed of the motor lower rpm is better . the ratio of the reducer , worm reducers single reduction only go to 60:1 ratio....
            and you might think about puttin on a varable speed controller to control the speed......just remember speed goes up torque goes down and vice versa....
            Mike
            Oklahoma City
            22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
            Weber 22.5 Performer
            GOSM 3405gw
            Boomer Sooner Drum
            Maverick ET-732
            Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
            A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Wonder bout a motor an drive assembly outa an commercial ice cream machine? Feller does some diggin bet ya could find one them used. That would have all the omph ya need. Should do fine fer the amount a time a feller would run a grinder.
              sigpic

Comment

Um, I have one. And it works great. In fact here's a pic in action.

I have ground probably 500 to 600 pounds of pork, venison, and now some chicken since I bought it last winter. I use a 3/8 Dewalt. It makes short work of a bunch of meat. I burnt up my old grinder and bought a 20 dollar china spacial from wally world. Girls didn't care for the cranking, so...............
                The little bit of mush in the grinder is because I didn't have the plate/blade tension tight enough.
                And I plug my drill into a foot pedal so my hands are free. It's really great for a clamp on grinder as you don't have to wrench it down so tight.

Tom

Comment

Mossy, I am going to grind 30 lbs of pork either tonight or Saturday night. I can video this thing in action if you like.
                  Gotta video a chicken de-boning too.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    Mossy, I am going to grind 30 lbs of pork either tonight or Saturday night. I can video this thing in action if you like.
                    Gotta video a chicken de-boning too.
                    Be carefull if ya choke that chikin!... Ya know I appreciate ya!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Video Video!.... We Want Video!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                        Be carefull if ya choke that chikin!... Ya know I appreciate ya!

OK video it is. I'll have to do it this weekend. Just got the call from dispatch. Be at work @ 4 a.m. tomorrow.

Tom

Comment

Hmmmm, I wonder if that would work with one of those hand crank meat mixers?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by TxBigRed View Post
                            Hmmmm, I wonder if that would work with one of those hand crank meat mixers?

Dave
                            Yep, that's what they are for. I wanna say Weston makes them. I found that before I bought my grinder. See if I can find it again.

Can't find it where I thought it was, but after a search here's a good price on them. Just need to know what size you have.

http://www.nulime.com/s/weston-grinder
                            Last edited by RowdyRay; 10-16-2009, 05:59 PM.
                            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

Thanks RowdyRay, do you think it might be to fast for one of those meat mixers?

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X