I Guess I DO Have a Stuffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Guess I DO Have a Stuffer

All this talk of sausage making finally encouraged me to dig out the grinder that my Dad gave me. It's been probably 18 years since I used it.

Started pulling stuff out of the box and lo and behold, I find these . . .

Sausage tubes?? Hmm.

I take some more stuff out and here are the plates.

I assume the one on the left is the "spacer" for using it to stuff sausage? The one on the right looks to be about 3/16". Is the middle one for just a coarse grind?

I put it all together and fired it up.

And with a tube on.

It started when I flipped the switch which was good news.

If I had to guess, I'd say this thing is at least 25 years old. I believe my Dad replaced the motor in it (he did a LOT of sausage making) back when you could get parts for it. Not sure if you can read the label in this picture but it's a pretty safe bet that it is what it is.

Not going to find any spare parts online for this baby!

Hmm . . . got me thinking now.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Get in that freezer and find something to grind up with that baby!! Nice!
    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
      Get in that freezer and find something to grind up with that baby!! Nice!
      Hell yeah....Get after it!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks like you are going to be in the sausauge making business, MMmmm business will be good !!!
        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Sweet find Dave. Chicken sausage is good stuff and can be healthy.
          sigpic

Comment

That is way tooo coool.. Dont burn the damn thing up on the first grind.. I bet it has not seen light of day in 20 years...
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

That sure brings back memories! I had one of those for probably 25 years. Made a boxcar full of Italian sausage and Hunter's Delight with it. I always ground the butts through the coarse plate then stuffed in hog casings. We sold it in a yard sale several years ago as we didn't use it anymore. Can't remember if that plate on the left was a spacer or just an extra coarse plate. You're in business for making sausage now!
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

The plate on the left should be the stuffing plate, it is the plate in the middle I am not familiar with..... unless it is also a stuffing plate that has a different design so the auger does not put as much "pushing" pressure after the meat passes the plate and goes through the stuffing tubes?
                --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

That is the same machine my dad bought for me prolly 15 years ago. I didn't get the plate on the left with mine. I always used the middle plate as the course grind plate. I really need to upgrade.

Comment

Nice Dave. My brother has one just like it I found at a thrift store. The left one is a spacer. He's used it quite a few times. Hasn't stuffed anything with it, but he's ground up at least 100 pounds of pork and venison for breakfast or italian sausage with it. They don't make stuff like they used to. They just keep going.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

I've got to do some reading now. I found the Home Sausage Making PDF that Ken posted awhile back. Need to read through it. Then read through the Sausage forum. Lots of good recipes in there it seems.

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                      Dont burn the damn thing up on the first grind.. I bet it has not seen light of day in 20 years...
                      Pretty darn close. I know it hasn't worked very hard in 20+ years. After doing some hard remembering I think the last time I used it was to make a batch of my Dad's chili. Used it to grind some celery, onion, and a pound of bacon. Not exactly a real workout for a grinder. Oh, and that would have been, to the best of my recollection, in 1991.
                      Dave
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                        Hell yeah....Get after it!
                        Ditto!!!
                        Grind on Dave!!! Yippie!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Right on Dave. You are on it now bud! Have a ball, it's a bit addictive
                          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Oh Boy, another sausage head. Kudos DDave, lets see some links bud...All the best
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Cool... Hmm that centerplate MIGHT be a separator for smaller diameter stuffing? Looking forward to your results. Remember to keep it COLD to help avoid the "mushies" that you can get using a grinder as a stuffer. And keep the meat flowing as well.
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X