Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Think is the Best Ratio of Venison to Pork Butt For Snakc Sticks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Think is the Best Ratio of Venison to Pork Butt For Snakc Sticks?

I just brought home my first sausage stuffer from the BPS. I got the 5lb LEM stuffer. My intent right now is venison snack sticks. I have two packages of the LEM Hot Sticks seasoning and 17mm casings. The instructions call for at least 20% pork but I want to make sure to use the right mix. I do not want them to be so lean that they dry out. I will be using pork butt for the fat and pig. Any advise from an experienced snack stick maker would be grateful-y appreciated.

Dave

I'm a 60/40 guy all the way... Does not make a bit of diff what type of venison sausage I make.. Stix, Links, Brats, Summer Sausage.. Its 60/40.. and I have been very happy for over 15 years..

But that is me.. Some may want it more lean, others more moist or fatty.. I firmly believe its up to what you like..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I agree with TH, it is up to your own personal tastes; Grateful Dave, congrats on the stuffer, after a few batches of sticks you will have your own personal taste preference !!!

Here is how I do sticks.

21lbs deer
      4lbs lean pork
      3lbs swiss jalapeno hi temp cheese
      Seasoning mix w/ cure
      Water

Grind pork and deer through course plate. Mix together then add water and seasoning mix – mix very well. Grind meat again with fine plate. Mix in cheese, and stuff into casings. Apply smoke for 2 hrs between 90-110º and finish at 200º until internal temp reaches 158-160º. Let cool all the way through before cutting.
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

75/25 here. Actually What ever 25% is, is how much pork butt I use.
        Hey, here's a great tutorial. Don't know who posted it, but he seems to know what he's doing?

S-M Deer Stick Tutorial

Tom

Comment

Nice tutorial; Hey, I know that guy, he knows his chit !!!
          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
            Nice tutorial; Hey, I know that guy, he knows his chit !!!
            Actually he's a dip-shit, he just plays a no-it-all on TV.

Tom

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              Hey, here's a great tutorial. Don't know who posted it, but he seems to know what he's doing?

S-M Deer Stick Tutorial
              Great post GS. Thanks for the step by step. Very informative and helpful!

GratefulDave

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post

S-M Deer Stick Tutorial
                This would fit nicely in with the rest of the tutorials.
                Avid Meatatarian
                Remember, it's not just a choice, its a lifestyle!

Comment

Just an idea that works great for me. I grind a good quality "bacon" with my game, both elk and venison instead of using pork butts. I use about 10 + percent or so bacon to elk/venison. I use this for all my ground meat (not meat for sausage) but for great burgers or anything else I would use ground meat for. This adds the fat you need to cook and gives it a great flavor in addition. CJ

Comment

Personally I use 80/20 on sticks and 60/40 on SS. Depending on the meat at hand sometimes I will stray up wards... anywhere in that range oughta do you.

Comment

Myself I don't use pork I prefer ground beef. I use a 2lbs venison to 1 lb ground beef in the 70% area and nothing over 80%. This is what a diet person I had to go to we negotiated and I can have 4 oz's of it a day in a meat exchange. Then of course I had to take her some to okay it lol. From my area people say the venison takes more like beef.
                      If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                      Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

i use 20% of the leanest beef i can find and 5% lean pork trims, just adding a lil bit of pork really changes the texture alot. meat shop known for there stix in the area leaked that to me...
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I'm a 70/30 type of guy its easy to figure.
                          2-22.5'' weber
                          1-18'' weber
                          1 smokey joe
                          22.5'' wsm
                          24'' smoke vault
                          1-outhouse
                          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...
                          X