Rotisserie Drum Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotisserie Drum Turkey

I'm finally getting around to doing the turkey on the drum today. Going to use the rotisserie. I haven't even lit the drum yet in fact I haven't even started dragging things out of the garage to start yet but I was so proud of my truss job I had to post a pic. Not as hard as I thought it was going to be but then I probably watched the video 30 times.

Here it is all trussed and seasoned with Rich's rub and a little extra thyme. It's covered and in the fridge now. Didn't have any rosemary in the spice cabinet but it will be several hours before it goes on. I may have time to pick some up.

I plan on putting the bird on the drum at around noon, running the drum at 325ish with maybe some maple or cherry.

Updates to come.

Dave
    Last edited by DDave; 10-17-2009, 03:52 PM.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Can't wait to hear your thoughts and see the finished bird. This should be interesting.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
      Can't wait to hear your thoughts and see the finished bird. This should be interesting.
      Exactly.....I was thinkin the same......
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Well, the turkey is on and the drum is cruising at around 335° to 340° -- with one valve 1/2 way open.

It seems I'm getting some additional draft because of gaps between the rotiss ring and the drum. Great for poultry -- will be a bit of a challenge usnig the rotiss for pork -- at least if I still insist on using the Kingsford Comp. Although I have a couple of ideas I have not tried yet.

No pics of the turkey yet. I'm a bit afraid of causing a temp spike. The charcoal basket is pretty full. Tossed in a few chunks of maple around the side of the basket. I figure I'll let it go about 3 hours then temp the breast. I'll snap a pic then or maybe earlier if the temps start to drop and I can give it more air.

Dave
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Went out to check on things and heard the rotisserie thumping. The turkey shrank up a bit and had pulled out of the forks. Needed a little adjustment so I snapped a pic.

Got her all hooked back up and it's good to go. Took a little longer than I expected. Put the lid back on and the drum shifted into "skin crisping mode". Pegged the Taylor thermo. It only goes to 392° then reads HI. I imagine it'll come down.

Will check turkey temp in about an hour.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

Looks great!!!!!!!!!!! I love higher temps on my birds.

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
              Looks great!!!!!!!!!!! I love higher temps on my birds.
              Thanks.

It's settled back down to around 360° now and that's at the bottom rack in the drum. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Dave

On Edit: Actually it's back down in the 340s. I actually could have taken it out and set it on a tray to futz with it. Have to remember that for next time.
              Last edited by DDave; 10-17-2009, 04:11 PM.
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

Well, I took it off after about 3-1/2 hours. Temp was 170ish in the breast and thigh.

The trussing held up very well. I was very pleased with that. Didn't come loose at all.

Rested it covered in a foil pan for about 20 minutes . . .

then removed the string and moved it to the cutting board.

Now I need to watch the "How to Carve a Turkey" video a few more times.

Tasted very good. Dark meat was excellent. Breast was not really dry but was characteristically different than the dark meat. Didn't get much rub under the skin so the flavor was mostly on the outside. Darn good though. I'll have to do another one sometime. Next time I'll have to brine and inject and the whole nine yards.

The drum performed nicely. Held 340ish with both caps on and the valve 1/4 to 1/2 open. Didn't really use that much charcoal. Need to modifiy the rotiss ring a bit for lower temps though. I'm thinking maybe a strip of flat wood stove rope with a Velcro fastener that I can use when doing pork or briskets. For poultry and tri tips, it's fine the way it is.

Thanks for looking.

Dave
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

Dave, the Turkey looks great!! I'm going to wait a little while to do mine. I have always done mine on a weber kettle but now I have the drum....can't wait and hope mine comes out as good as yours!!
                  www.nopigleftbehind.com
                  -----------------------------

Comment

Love the color.I could go for a plate.

Comment

Nice
                      Col. Big Guy

Comment

WOW DDave!.... That looks Awesome! ........ Excellent color also.....

Turkey makes GREAT sausage too! Get that stuffer/grinder charged up.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          WOW DDave!.... That looks Awesome! ........ Excellent color also.....

Turkey makes GREAT sausage too! Get that stuffer/grinder charged up.
                          Thanks, Scott.

Much of the turkey ended up in soup yesterday. Yummy. BUT . . . there's a strong possibility of making some chicken/apple sausage this weekend.

Dave
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

Great idea using the rote in the UDS. I got one laying around that don't work worth a $hit in my grill. Did you do a post when you did these mods that I can copy?

I love smoked turkey and this looks really good. Thanks for the pics.

Comment

Beautiful bird you did Dave! Looks and tasted (I bet) great!

Here's a tiny hint.... try plugging up the holes/gaps where the rotisserie is to cut off the draft. I plug the holes for the rotisserie (which I dont have) on my gas grill with foil when I smoke salmon on it. Seems to work.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X