Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron Experiment

This is for you Dude.

I read an article on using lye for cleaning cast iron. There was some discussion about it, and seems it's not easy to find. Steve (walkingdude) asked about Drano. So, I picked up an 18 Oz. can from Walmart. Relatively inexpensive, and most should be able to get it. It says contains Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda-lye). Lots of warnings on the can, so please use carefully with eye protection and rubber gloves if you try this.

Had a 6.5 gallon Rubbermaid container with a lid laying around that looked big enough to fit most any CI into. The lid is not air tight, so it should allow any vapors to escape. Filled it halfway, so about 3 gallons of cold water. Poured half the can of Drano into the water. Used a stick to stir it up good.

My victims....err, I mean volunteers today are a small cheap skillet I found and the lid to the Lodge sauce pan. What the heck, shouldn't hurt it. Wanted to try this before winter. I'll leave it outside in case of any noxious fumes. Not sure if it will freeze either. Hopefully can store it in the shed for future use. We'll see.

Gonna check on it everyday. I'll update as we go along. Should be interesting.
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Is this supposed to get rid of the rust and restore it to a "like new" condition?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by TxBigRed View Post
      Is this supposed to get rid of the rust and restore it to a "like new" condition?

Dave
      That's what we're going to find out.
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

not sure about rust, but it WILL get rid of any grease/grime build up...........

thankx RR

you are my HERO...........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Well, if it wrecks the CI, I'm sending you the bill. LMAO.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
          S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post

naw, just send me the ruint CI..........i will werk with it..........BWAHAHAHAHA

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Checked on it today. I have to say I'm impressed so far. Took the lid off, and there was an ugly coating of scum floating on top.

When the small skillet was removed the old seasoning wiped off with my finger. A rinse with the garden hose took most of it right off. A light scrubbing with steel wool removed more. There still is some in the crevices and rougher surfaces, so I'll put it back in to soak and check on it tommorrow.

The sauce pan lid cleaned up very nicely. If you compare it to the first pics, you can see the old seasoning. That all came off. Scrubbed with steel wool, rinsed several times and used some dish soap to remove any chemicals. Dried and reseasoned.

My large skillet still has some baked on crud that never came off and the medium skillet lid came out spotty, because I never got the old seasoning off completely. Threw the medium lid in with the small skillet. Find out if any more Drano has to be added, or if it's good for a while. Will keep you updated.
              Attached Files
              S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Double R!....Man I think yer on to something!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

looking good dude...............tho wished you had some really GRIMY crusted stuff, to see how this does.........but no worries, i will be trying it here REAL soon while I have a break in the weather...........!!

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post

You'd have to go further than that to RUIN CI pots... like a steamroller or...well, I hear told...explosives
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                      looking good dude...............tho wished you had some really GRIMY crusted stuff, to see how this does.........but no worries, i will be trying it here REAL soon while I have a break in the weather...........!!

Like I said, the large skillet has some stuff stuck to it. Food sticks when I try to cook in it. Thought I got all of it, but guess not. So it may be a good candidate here soon. Should have picked up this nasty one I saw. I'll watch for one now that this may work.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      You'd have to go further than that to RUIN CI pots... like a steamroller or...well, I hear told...explosives

Hehe.....so you've heard...wink, wink. Had to give Dude some grief. But it's looking real promising so far.
                      S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Looks like it's working great. I'm afraid to do that to any of my cast iron. I'm so
                        old, I may never get it smoothed back out again.
                        sigpic
                        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Think one of the posts got lost. The little volunteer skillet turned out great after seasoning it. The lid for my 8" skillet turned out great too, but can't find that pic. Found another 8" Lodge skillet and threw that in too.
                          Attached Files
                          S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Dad has a fishing buddy that restores old cars. Hauls in scrap metal for recycling. Says he's been using drain cleaner to clean up rusty parts for years. Uses a liquid generic brand from the dollar store called "the works". Puts the parts right in it.

Someone threw a 10 1/2" round griddle in his trailer. He saved it for me. It's old and has a real black finish to it. Too bad it's scratched up, it takes years to build up that finish. It's almost measurable, it's that thick. Dad thinks it would work nice up north. Hope to clean it up and bring up hunting.
                            Attached Files
                            S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

WOW! Great job, RR! How's the 10 1/2 griddle looking?
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X