My New UDS and Seasoning Fattie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New UDS and Seasoning Fattie

Well, after getting my new drum and scrubbing it out Thursday, Friday I drilled 2 3/4" vent holes and 1 1 1/4" hole to accept a 1" ball valve. I've read that putting an elbow on the ball valve restricts the flow somewhat, so I went up one size from the standard 3/4" valve. I also cut the bottom out of the drum with a sabre saw and ground the rouch edges down. The Weber lid fit this drum perfect without having to do any hammering on it at all to get it to fit. Once that was done I drilled and installed the u-bolt grate supports and drilled and installed the thermometer probe port. I've got a thermometer ordered from Bubba, but until it comes, I drilled a hole under the second (lower) grate and stuck my turkey fryer thermo in there. All that was left to do was to put the top, now the bottom of the drum back on and season it. I ran up to Krogers and bought a can of their cooking spray and used the whole thing up all over the inside of the drum. I cut the bottom out of a 1 lb coffee can and kept the plastic lid. I filled the can with the lid on with charcoal and dumped it in my chimney and lit it. While that was firin' up I set the can in the middle of my charcoal grate, minus the plastic lid, and layered charcoal and hickory chunks around it until the basket was full. When the chimney of coals was ready, I dumped them in the coffee can, then lifted the can out with some channel locks. I grabbed the handle of the basket and lowered it into the drum.
    I left all the vents open and in 10 minutes it was up to 250º, in 30 it was at 350º and at the hour mark it was at 450º. I let it run up to 525º and shut it down to bring it down to 220º. Once it hit that temp, I stuck two plain 1 lb sausage fatties in it and let it run for 4 hours. It was windy out but it held at 220º - 240º beautifully the whole time. Saturday morning we had some great fried egg sammies with sausage fattie slices in them.

Drum's Marked

Holes drilled and 1" valve in

Grate supports in

Thermo in with helper

Bernie says "Where's the bottom?"

Charc basket

Charc basket loaded

Hot chimney of charc in the middle

Thin and Blue

Heatin' up

Traditional seasoning fatties

Ready for Saturday's breakfast

There's more things I want to do to this yet, but I needed it ready for this Thursday, so I hurried it up. I have to do 6 hardboiled egg breakfast fatties for Diana to take into work with her to feed the staff with. I still want to put in another thermo port under the second grate, install the thermo from Bubba when it comes, put the handles on it, come up with a wheeled base for it and paint it all up pretty. But the paint job won't happen until next Spring.
    Last edited by MichChef; 10-18-2009, 10:37 PM.

Nice drum!!

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

That's a nice build, John! Well done, sir!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Awesome John!

Now I want one, a Norte Dame, Bears or Colts one *VBG* I don't know if I'd be able to make it. I know my father would have all the tools, but cutting into metal!!! I'm not sure about that. LOL Did I ever tell you about my exploding garden bed LOL

Those fatties look nice a juicy YUM I never thought to make and egg sandwich with one, I bet that is good. :)

Corinna
        GOSM - The Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Series Propane Gas Smoker

Brinkmann Pro Series Grill

Weber Lil' Smokey Joe

Bayou Turkey Fryer

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          That's a nice build, John! Well done, sir!
          Yes what he said!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Nice drum John!
            You should have your thermo tomorrow, but your gonna need a much bigger hole for the Teltru!
            Why the elbow for the intake?

Comment

Nicely done MichChef, your off to the races Bud...
              ---------------------------------------------------
              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Nice looking drum.

Curious about the elbow as well.
                Chris
                UDS - Buckeye 1
                Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
                GOSM Wide Body
                Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
                2 Dutch Ovens
                Cabelas Grinder
                Cabelas Jerky Blaster
                Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
                Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Comment

First off, thanks to you my friends for the points, even though as easy as these things are to build, I'm not sure I deserve them.

Steve and Chris, I put an elbow in for a couple reasons. One, I didn't want the valve sticking straight out the side of the drum. I'm too clumsy and would be kicking it and the other is I'm kicking around the idea of an adjustment rod that will hook into a hole that I'll drill in the valve handle and that will work best with the valve running parallel with the drum vs straight out or facing up.

Steve, I never took the step bit out of the drill in anticipation of the thermo arriving.

Comment

Nice drum John! I like the fact that these hold temps for a long time. I don't have one built yet. I have 2 drums burnt out and waiting. You and your drum are an inspiration, to get my rear in gear! Nice chubs too!
                    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bebeblues View Post
                      I don't know if I'd be able to make it. I know my father would have all the tools, but cutting into metal!!! I'm not sure about that.
                      If you find an open head drum, you don't need to cut into metal. All you need is a drill.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457

They're very user-friendly.

Dave
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Nice Ugly Drum you have there! The fattys are a proper way to christen the cooker too!

Comment

Nice looking drum, you are gonna love it. Nice fatties too. That is how you christen a drum!
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Nice drum!
                            ________
                            Upskirt hidden
                            Last edited by Rich Parker; 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM.
                            WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

Working...
                            X