Made some boudin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made some boudin

followed cajunsmoke13 recipe, with minor deviations.

I put my rice through a potato ricer and mixed with the meat before grinding.
    (though if I make it again I probably won't bother grinding).
    And for anyone wondering why I mashed the rice - it's because I don't eat rice. can't stand the little maggoty grains. This way you still get the flavour and texture, and colour but not the little dead maggots, lol.

Also added some dried egg white at the end to make it cook a little firmer (it's still soft enough to spread, but will hold it's shape when sliced).

Other than that I followed the recipe to the letter.

Bought a pot of 'cajun seasoning' no idea if it's the same as you lot use, this was what's in it. I like it.

After rice has cooked, and meat still simmering you've got time to make some of my chocolate brownies :-)

And back to the boudin.

After grinding left it overnight in the fridge. Didn't firm up. Added some more cajun seasoning before stuffing.

Vacpacked all but one large boudin. Had some willing help, lol
    Had I left the bowl on it's own the sausage would have 'vanished'

After packing I kept one of the large ones back for lunch.
    fried it (yeah I know you're not supposed to) - hence the bursting lol.
    had it in a sarnie with some mustard. very tasty.

I think it's the most involved sausage I've made to date.
    Positive points: Very tasty, nice colour and best use of rice I can think of lol
    You make a lot of sausage with very little pork, liver and rice cost almost nothing. So it's really cheap. Very low fat content, so technically a 'healthy' sausage. Although high in carbohydrate so maybe not one for your guys on the diet.
    Negative points - really just the texture. It is very soft, more a spreading sausage than a slicing one. Would be great on toast.
    Not sure I'll rush to make another batch when this one finally runs out.
    But glad I made it and many thanks to cajunsmoke13 for bringing it to my attention and his recipe :-)
    One of the great things about this site - you come across stuff you wouldn't normally hear of and plenty of help in how to make it :-)

I'll pass around samples and see what other people think :-)

And gunny, if you look hard enough - it's in there lol
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Very nice effort and points for open minded thinking!!
    Keith

Comment

thanks - I guess it would help if I'd had some idea what boudin was like before making it :-)

But it's one of those things I'd vaguely heard of but never seen anywhere.

The challenge now is to take the same flavours across to a more conventional and firmer cooking sausage. Should be doable :-)

I actually quite like the flavour you get from the mashed rice (you heard it here first lol)
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That looks awesome. Nice job. Glad it worked out. I would eat some of that. It's a regional thing, every corner market sells Boudin. Got out West, up North, good look finding it or finding someone who knows what it means. Now I got to make some more.
        Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

I've got it on my list to do as soon as I locate the liver so thanks for sharing yours to get me looking even faster. Looks great!

Comment

Wow, great first try CA. I got to do that soon, I love liver.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Where's the Gator meat?

Looks good CA. Get the meat mixer this weekend an I'm back in the sausage business to! Nother batch a boudin in the near future!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
                Wow, great first try CA. I got to do that soon, I love liver.
                Liver ain't happenin! Sausage be lookin good tho!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks good to me Alex. Never tried it either. Points for trying something new.

I tried finding it around here. Wanted to try it before maybe making some. Haven't found any yet. Guess I'll have to make some if I want to taste it.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

When I make the next batch Ray, we'll have ta find a way ta get ya some!
                    sigpic

Comment

That looks great C.A.. The color is just nice. Great job on the first go bud! I love liver n onions...mmmm with a side of rice! wooo weee
                      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smokeguy View Post
                        I've got it on my list to do as soon as I locate the liver so thanks for sharing yours to get me looking even faster. Looks great!
                        This is my problem, finding the pork liver.. sheesh... its Cali we should have everthing,.... no butcher by me... ry if ya find some let me know!

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                        Liver ain't happenin! Sausage be lookin good tho!
                        Oh!! I first tasted boudin in this little Cajun rest that my dad had to go to.... it has since closed because the owner moved back east as that was where his racing career went.. but.. on time at the rest they suggested boudin, it was served with lemon on a saltine cracker... simple yet memorable. I love it.. I wont eat liver at all... but I do love a fine pate, liver based, if made correctly it doesn't have that "liver" taste... just like a boudin.
                        Alex, I get the whole maggoty texture thing, but IMHO you mashed the rice to much. Take a sausage out of the fridge and put it on a cracker with some lemon.... OH LA LA! again just MHO...
                        Thank you Alex for another extremely entertaining, not to mention informative post!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Alex, Awesome post as usual! I also am not fond of rice. But I think you did a great job on the Big -n- Little ones. The whole process to me personally, does not sound to appealing, but I have never tried it.... Loved the Brownie intermission.... :) also.

I also read your posts with Simon Cowell's (American Idol) voice going through my head word for Bloody word!

Keep it up Bloke, Mate, Dude, Bro!.... Nice Work.... And did you post something earlier about "When it's grilling season"... Is it that BAD over there? :)
                          sigpic

Comment

but IMHO you mashed the rice to much
                            nah never happen lol
                            I'm happy with the way it turned out, the rice flavour is noticeable (to me, anyway) but the liver and rest of the ingredients compliment it well

mind you one of my questions was: how is it normally eaten ?
                            On a cracker with lemon would work really well :-)
                            I was planning on cooking/heating some up for lunch at the weekend - crackers are good :-)
                            Any other choices ?

I also read your posts with Simon Cowell's (American Idol) voice going through my head word for Bloody word!
                            lmao
                            Not even close, he's way posher than me.
                            hang on I'll post short video clip -<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MxRd4ssDhiU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MxRd4ssDhiU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There ya go - sorry to disappoint you ;-)

Mnay thanks for points and comments - but it's all down to cajunsmoke13 :-)
                            It just looked so unusual I had to try it out.

And like I said more ideas on how it's supposed to be eaten would be good :-)

ps.
                            And did you post something earlier about "When it's grilling season"... Is it that BAD over there? :)
                            yes.
                            bbq season is july to september.
                            Clocks go back this weekend - so it's dark by 17:00
                            weather sucks, generally wet and cold. People stay indoors.

I will be doing some smoking over the winter, but bbq/grilling season is pretty much just july, august and september (if you're lucky). Me I start in may and go through to september - but's that's me lol
                            Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-20-2009, 01:58 PM.
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                            X