Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Butt, Beef Chub, Spicy Fattie & Bacon Wrapped 'Taters

My first big smoke in the UDS.

After finishing and seasoning my UDS on Friday night, I wanted to give it a real try other than just the seasoning fatties, so I decided to run a 8.75 lb pork butt, a 3 lb log of ground chuck for chili and nachos, a hot sausage fattie with 2 chopped japs and and 2 chopped habs in it and some bacon wrapped redskins. I'm used to smokin' in my SnP which take 3 hours to do a fattie and I was hoping to have the fattie and 'taters ready for halftime of the Michigan game so I popped them in at 10:30 AM, the butt went in at about 9:45 AM. Right now I'm using a turkey fryer thermo in the UDS because it's all I have and it was reading at 225º - 235º pretty steadily. I only have one remote thermo and it was stuck in the butt on the bottom rack. At the 4 hour mark when the butt reached 160º I stuck the fattie on the top rack with a quick read and it only showed 120º so I decided to leave everything in until the butt reached 200º. Well that didn't happen until 7 hours had rolled around. I stuck the fattie again and it read 160º and the beef chub read 150º so I pulled the whole top rack and brought it in the house. I brought the butt in too and foiled it for 1 1/2 hours too.
    I sliced up some of the chub and fattie to go with the taters for football snacks even though the football game was long over and the second game of the day almost so. The meat was great with nice smoke rings, but the 'taters were only half done. I nuked them for another 4 minutes and was happy about them. I seem to remember someone else making these and they said that they would partially cook them before wrapping them the next time too.

The butt has excellent flavor, and really isn't at the easily shreddable stage, but Diana and I both decided to forego putting it back in the smoker to finish, because the meat we sliced for supper that night was so good.

The meat from the UDS doesn't taste the same as that that comes outta my SnP. Even though it's nice and smoky flavored, I think that because it's cooked directly over the charc and the juices drip in the fire it gives it more of a grilled flavor than meat that is smoked indirectly. So I will be finishing the baffle and tuning plate mods on the SnP too.

After my seasoning smoke was done Friday night, I shut all the inlet vents and forgot to shut the top vent. When I went out to light 'er up again Saturday morning for this smoke, the temp still read 75º and it had some still glowing coals in the basket. That's 18 hours after I first fired it up to season it and for the first 3 hours it ran wide open and got up to 525º before shutting it down to 220º.
    Saturday when I shut it down when I took the meat out, I remembered to shut the top vent and 45 minutes later the thermo read 0º and the drum was cold to the touch.

There's a definite temp difference between the top and bottom rack and maybe my thermo isn't right too. I think Thursday when I do the 6 fatties for Diana to take to work, I'm going to try running it at about 250º - 260º.

8.75 lb pork but with Rich's Rub

Bacon wrapped redskins, ground beef chub and jalapeño/habanero hot sausage fattie

Ready for the meat

Chubs are done

First butt from the UDS

Jalapeño/Habanero Fattie. So delicious! Will make lots more of these

Beef chub

Great Butt!

Sunday breakfast, fried egg sammies with sausage fattie and bacon wrapped 'taters

Thanks for lookin' at my first UDS smoke! I can't wait to get this thing nailed down.
    Last edited by MichChef; 10-19-2009, 09:09 AM.

Nice work. I agree there is a taste difference from my drum vs. my offset smoker too. Not a bad thing...just different.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Adam, I think it may be the unlit charcoal gradually catching that gives it the different flavor. I may try it with some lump instead of the Kingsford that I used to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

I have used Kingsford Competition Briquettes and Royal Oal Lump, with either I notice a little more "grilled" flavor. I just always figured it was from the direct cooking, the juices vaporizing on the hot coals contributing to the flavor.

I would be interested in your thoughts after you experiment with different fuels a little.
        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Some good looking grub. Looks great
          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

All looks great!.... Have not tried the bacon wrapped Redskins, but on the list now...
            sigpic

Comment

Will lump give me a longer burn time in the UDS? Or does it burn up quicker?

Comment

John,

Lump typically burns hotter and longer that briquettes.

Everything sure looked good coming off the UDS. Are you using a water pan?
                sigpic

GOSM/propane
                UDS (Cam)/lump
                22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                Weber Genesis/propane
                Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

No I'm not Lou. I don't think I've heard of using one. Should I be?

Comment

Food looks GREAT!!

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                    Nice work. I agree there is a taste difference from my drum vs. my offset smoker too. Not a bad thing...just different.
                    What he said.

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                    Will lump give me a longer burn time in the UDS? Or does it burn up quicker?
                    I think it depends on the lump and/or the charcoal. In my experience Kingsford Comp burns hot and long. Cowboy did not burn as hot. Lazzari Mesquite seemed pretty comparable to the Kingsford Comp temp wise but lasted longer.

One thing to watch out for with lump is to try to get the pieces somewhat uniform. Bust up the bigger chunks and that will help with a more consistent burn.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Nice work! Hey...what about a drip catcher/heat deflector in the UDS? A few inches above the basket...
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                        No I'm not Lou. I don't think I've heard of using one. Should I be?
                        No.

Water pans in a UDS kill the efficiency and are not necessary because of the distance between the fire and the grate. Also, you'll notice after a cook that the drum is a pretty moist cooking environment anyway.

Although . . . since mine tends to want to run hot (I am usually running both caps on and valve 1/4 open for most smokes) I thought about putting a steel plate on top of the basket. Should still get hot enough to sizzle the fat but should interfere with the draft enough to hopefully keep temp down.

I'll have to test it sometime.

Dave

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I was talking about this with my neighbor last night, the guy who got me the drum. I was wondering about getting a big metal funnel and cutting the narrow end off so that there is a 6" - 8" opening or bigger in the middle, then setting it above the charcoal basket on another piece of expanded metal. The heat would still rise straight up the middle, but also be directed to the sides of the drum too.

Any thoughts?

Comment

You'll still get alot of drippage into the coals. Let the heat hit the outsides...convection will take care of the rest. Temps appear not to be a problem. You MAY use a bit more fuel, but that'll be minor I'd think.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Temps kinda are a problem Rich. It took 7 hours to bring a fattie on the top rack up to 160º. It takes 3 in my SnP.

If a 2" temp probe has to have 50º added to it according to Bubba, yet a 12" probe reads the center right on, it seems like I'd want to re-direct some of the heat toward the sides of the drum. No?

Comment

Working...
                              X