EZ Grind Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZ Grind Review

I offered to post a video of this attachment for Mossy and decided to just do a full product review of it instead. Video follows.

This attachment enables #8-#10 or #22-#32 hand crank grinders to run electrically with the aid of a common 3/8" or larger drive hand drill. And connected to a foot switch makes it hands free.

This is the box it comes in. I have a bad habit of hanging onto boxes. My wife hates it, but I gotta have the box and receipt for when things break down. And they will because it's my luck.

Here is everything nicely packed and safe from the mishandling UPS WILL give it.

Everything unpacked and laid out. I don't use that big hopper.

Here's the cheap grinder I'll be using. My electric broke down last winter and I was little short on funds, so I seen these at Walmart for 20 bucks. It's a #10 and comes with 3 plates and 3 stuffing tubes. No stuffing plate, so I don't understand the tubes, but it's not my idea.

The drill is a Dewalt 3/8 drive, variable speed with reverse and no trigger lock. It's a 6 amp drill with a max speed of 2500 RPM's. Certainly no powerhouse, but it does do a great job on everything I've used it for.

Next I have a cheap Harbor Freight momentary on/off foot switch. I think I paid 9 or 10 bucks for it. I consider this a must have.

Here's what the gear drive looks like before assembling the table and drill support rods.

Rods installed. The gear drive comes with the proper size hex wrench to tighten the cap screws that hold these rods in.

It comes with 2 different adapters, so choose the correct one for the diameter of your shaft.

Grinder with gear drive installed.

Whole unit clamped onto table edge, and drill chucked up to the drive shaft. You can see here what the rods are for. Without them, the drive and drill would just spin on the grinder shaft.

Here's a video of the unit running and grinding pork butts for sausage. I use a zip tie to hold the drill trigger. The drill is plugged into the foot switch which is then plugged into the wall. The grinder turns in the 60 to 65 RPM range under a load. I can grind between 2 and 3 lbs of meat per minute.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0WaF7fJ5GCY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0WaF7fJ5GCY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I love this gear drive. It's a breeze to attach and makes pretty quick work of a lot of meat. I have nothing bad to say about it. It is worth every penny, and I paid around 55 bucks when I bought mine. I see there are other suppliers that sell them for a little over 20 bucks. I have ordered 2 more of them, just to have on hand.

A side note concerning the foot switch: I feel these are a must have for any appliance you might be turning of and on a lot. Especially grinders, big mixers, etc. Don't get one that turns on and stays on until you step on it again. Get one that stays on while depressed and shuts off when you remove your foot. It's a safety thing.

Hopefully this clears up a few questions about the EZ Grind. There isn't a lot of information on the net about these. In fact, I believe the video I posted is the only one on YouTube.
    Speaking of the video, I'm no videographer or a good editor, so that's my best. Probably.

Tom

Hmmm Prolly won't work for my stuffer, but sure looks good for grinding anyhoo. The Enterprise is gonna need something beefier for sure.

Nice review Tom. Thank you for the fine contribution!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Wow, Gunner I think it a great success bud. Love the detailed review and the video was perfectly done... Kudos
      ---------------------------------------------------
      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      KCBS CBJ

Comment

Could a stuffing attachment be used on this type of grinder? Sorry for being a bit naiev, but if it can, it sounds like a lower cost alternative to a seperate grinder & stuffer. Great video!
        sigpic
        New Braunfels Bandera
        New Braunfels Hondo
        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
        1-26" Weber Kettle
        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Great revue, I'm still wondering if it would have the umph to turn a 50 lbs meat mixer.
          Here's a tip on using a grinder...cut the meat into strips instead of chunks. Feed in a long strip, and the grinder will pull it through on it's own, won't have to use the stomper as much. I found that out when using my kitchen aid grinder. Works on my big grinder too. Try it, it works!

Dave

Comment

Nice review Tom. Thanks for doing that. I did consider getting one. I still say it's an affordable solution. Especially if you already own a hand grinder. Plus it doesn't take up much room.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
              Could a stuffing attachment be used on this type of grinder? Sorry for being a bit naiev, but if it can, it sounds like a lower cost alternative to a seperate grinder & stuffer. Great video!
              Yes, but you need a plate made for it. It's slow either way, doing it with a grinder. I used to, but now the only thing I'd trade my vertical stuffer for, is a bigger vertical stuffer.

Originally posted by TxBigRed View Post
              Great revue, I'm still wondering if it would have the umph to turn a 50 lbs meat mixer.
              Here's a tip on using a grinder...cut the meat into strips instead of chunks. Feed in a long strip, and the grinder will pull it through on it's own, won't have to use the stomper as much. I found that out when using my kitchen aid grinder. Works on my big grinder too. Try it, it works!

Dave
              Thanks Dave. I actually cut strips more often than not. The reason I did chunks this time, is because I tried using the hopper that comes with the EZ Grind and really stuff a lot of meat in it. It sucks. I don't know why I thought I'd try it. I know loading these stuffers up is more headache than it's worth. Feeding a nice long strip in one by one is the way to go. You're right.

Tom

Comment

looking great gunny............tho, one question..........

every drill i have seen made in the last..........oh say 15 years atleast, has a lil button or summin like it to hold the trigger IN/ON.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                  looking great gunny............tho, one question..........

every drill i have seen made in the last..........oh say 15 years atleast, has a lil button or summin like it to hold the trigger IN/ON.
                  Only non-OSHA/MSHA approved power tools.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    Only non-OSHA/MSHA approved power tools.
                    Dangerous things... Had a "real" drill a couple years back, since killed it- anyway had the lock on button RIGHT by the thumb. I was on a ladder blowing a 1" hole thru some floor joists and caught a nail, and as the drill bucked, my thumb hit the button. ALMOST knocked me off the ladder. Kinda made a mess of the power cord for sure. Sheesh. I grabbed my pliers and ripped that button right out.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

hmmmmm.........i have 3 drill type tools, with osha approval right on em, and all have that feature............tho its not "RIGHT BY THE TRIGGER"

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

cut the meat into strips instead of chunks. Feed in a long strip, and the grinder will pull it through on it's own, won't have to use the stomper as much. I found that out when using my kitchen aid grinder. Works on my big grinder too. Try it, it works!
                        wow - never would have thought of that. excellent idea :-)
                        worth some clever idea .

And am i the only one who on seeing those black rubber gloves and bare wrists envisioned a gimp mask and sleeveless black rubber suit ?
                        Sausage making the s&m way
                        Probably something I ate lol

nice little video clip though. that setup certainly seems to do the trick.
                        about what rpm was the drill running at ?
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Very Clever idea there Tom. Got lot's of little tricks to make it work the way you want it to. Bravo & thanks for posting.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                            hmmmmm.........i have 3 drill type tools, with osha approval right on em, and all have that feature............tho its not "RIGHT BY THE TRIGGER"
                            Steve it's a pretty recent change in regs. I just finished 40 hours of OSHA certification training, so it's pretty fresh in my mind. But MSHA hasn't allowed them for a number of years.
                            I'm not going to tell you that's why I got mine, because it's not. I bought the drill through my company to take advantage of the discount. If I had thought about it at the time, I'd have asked the salesman if he had one with a lock. But what happened to Rich is exactly why they don't allow them.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            wow - never would have thought of that. excellent idea :-)
                            worth some clever idea .

And am i the only one who on seeing those black rubber gloves and bare wrists envisioned a gimp mask and sleeveless black rubber suit ? They're nitrile gloves left from the tattoo shop. Oh, and you're sick!!!
                            Sausage making the s&m way You're still sick
                            Probably something I ate lol Probably right.

nice little video clip though. that setup certainly seems to do the trick.
                            about what rpm was the drill running at ?
                            Runs around 60 RPM's under a load.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X