Looking for some advise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some advise...

I thought I'd approach the knowledgable masses and query y'all on smoker choice. After the "Dover Experience", I am going to change the way I have been doing things.

First off, I am going to get an enclosed trailer, and get rid of the open one I currently have. I need to be able to work in the trailer - rain, shine, shit, or blow - and keep all my BBQ stuff in it while not in use. It will get equipped with a wash station, electric and lighting, and of course, counter tops.

I currently have 3 modified Char-Grillers, and my Weber with the Smoke-EZ attachment. I plan to sell two of the CGs, and keep one of them and the Smoke-EZ out back for home affairs. I've been thinking about buying a vertical of some kind to drag around in the trailer. I have been looking at the Caldera Tall Boy and the Pro-Q... both are nice smokers.

The Caldera is nice, in that it breaks down and stores flat, butt it is very pricey, especially with the Guru. A friend of mine had one at Dover and cooked everything on it except the chicken. Awesome smoker.

The Pro-Q is nice also, and has stackable chambers that you can add or subtract. It is alot less money than the Caldera, but I don't think it will hold as much... not sure about that.

The objective here is to get the most bang for the buck that will hold a bunch of meat, keep stable temps, is compact enough that it can be stored in the trailer, and of course, not break the bank. I have been lusting after a Lang for a long time, but for what I want to do right now, it will have to wait.

Any thoughts or suggestions...?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

The WSM are excellent.They fit your profile on storage etc.I have found some deals on the online selling forums.

Team from california used 2 and won first in all 4 categories recently.

Pellet poopers are dominating this year.Jambos and backwoods also hold alott of the other top 20.None of these units are cheap!!!!

My 2 cents....

Comment

Comps of course require charcoal/wood heat. Seems Gurus and poopers are fine, as long as it's fired as mentioned. Have you looked at any of the Old Hickory pits? Again, not cheap. But alot in use up this way, and seem to work quite well.

And in defense of the WSM... li'l buddie's done me fine...and I ain't the onliest one!

Yer goin whole Hawg, eh?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Alex, Rich... I thought about the WSM too. They are great smokers at a reasonable price.

Yeah Rich, whole Hawg... I have to change things for the better. Dover did me in this time, and I need to fix that.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

For a comp I would go with the WSM, they are great smokers. Lots of opinions on them and at a comp they are well represented. All of which means if ya go to a comp and have a problem of some kind you will will get a multitude of solutions no doubt.

Now with that said I will deviate a bit. I see you mentioned a trailer. Doesn't matter what size.

Me deviation would be a UDS. I am not sure about the Northern comps. But in the middle of the country a UDS smoker is gaining popularity and is about even with definitely the WSM's and even some of the higher higher priced models. That includes those folks in and out of trailers. A UDS uses very little fuel and is very stable. All of what your looking for regardless of a trailer. With 2 racks they hold a lot of meat. I know they take up a bit of room and aren't the prettiest at times, but I am mounting mine on my open trailer for next year over the winter.

At the Great American BBQ this year in Kansas City my brother took a picture of a guy that had not 1, but 5 of them on his trailer. He had all 5 going. His trailer was fully enclosed, but had one side he could drop down. That many cookers, a really good idea. I'll get his name if I can ever reach my brother. But if I remember right, he was from Alabama.

One more thing, besides the wash station and all else ya mentioned. If ya go enclosed, don't forget some fans. To move air in and around ya and some good ventilation to pull heat out. Don't matter the time of year, its gonna get hot in there.
          sigpic

Comment

Great news Hawg, movin up with the big boys!
            Bang for your buck...WSM.
            If your gonna get stuck goin solo, look at a Backwoods. Add a Guru and you'll even sleep at night!
            I do very well with a drum for brisket and chicken but don't care for the flavor on pork.
            A WSM and a drum with a trailer and you'd be a wrecking machine!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
              Great news Hawg, movin up with the big boys!
              Bang for your buck...WSM.
              If your gonna get stuck goin solo, look at a Backwoods. Add a Guru and you'll even sleep at night!
              I do very well with a drum for brisket and chicken but don't care for the flavor on pork.
              A WSM and a drum with a trailer and you'd be a wrecking machine!
              Like the sound of adding a drum.Need one anyways.

Comment

Working...
              X