Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dehydrator snackstix

no idea if anyone answered this yesterday lol

Anyway I'm in the process of making some snackstix.
    recipe later.
    Haven't got the time or weather to spend 8 hours with the smoker (I know I know, wimping out lol but there are plenty of smoked ingredients in the mix) so decided i can do them in the dehydrator.
    it runs at 155, the mix is cured, and I do great ground jerky in it (5 drawer excalibur).

These are cured pork stix. 3 lbs shoulder and 2 pound birthday pig (18 hour low temp smoked) plus a bunch of seasonings and some jack daniels (the booze not seasoning).
    Also got chipotle, ginger, garlic, pepper, coriander etc in.
    the mix cooks up really tasty. good firm texture too so should dry/cook well in the dehydrator. Nice spicy bite to it. Leaving it today to cure/infuse.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever done snackstix in a dehydrator and if so, any tips.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

I have not but don't see any reason it wouldn't work. What is a birthday pig?
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

You had about 8 answers yesterday when I saw ur post.Hopefully everyone will chime back in.what I said I've done beforewhen in a hurry is to smoke for about 2 hrs ,just enough to flaver em up then throw them in a pot af water at about 180 deg for just afew min to get the pork up past 152.seams to work quite well, Ive never done it but planned on it this winter to throw em in the dehydrater after wards for a few hrs.
      2-22.5'' weber
      1-18'' weber
      1 smokey joe
      22.5'' wsm
      24'' smoke vault
      1-outhouse
      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

lol birthday pig is the the whole pig I cooked for a friends birthday in july :-)
        it's what i call it. Still got plenty in the freezer - it's great for this kind of mix.
        look at my sig pic ;-)

anyway the sausage is in the dehydrator - I'll check back in 4 hours or so when i get back.

did think about a couple of hours smoke first, but just couldn't fit it in.
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
        X