Anyone Tried Mulberry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Tried Mulberry?

The guy that owns the lot next to my side lot has a big mulberry tree that overhangs the fence between us. Early this Summer when the mulberries ripened, they fell on the ground so thick on my side of the fence that my riding lawnmower tires just spun when I tried to mow over them. there were huge piles of them on my grandkids swing set and slide and you really couldn't do anything in that part of the yard. SO......I'm going to call the owner (he rents the house out) and ask him if he just wants me to take the offending limbs down that hang over my lot or does he want the whole tree down. Either way, I'm pretty sure that I'm about to get a bunch of mulberry wood and I'm curious to hear if any of you have used it and whether or not you like the flavor on meats.

Jump on it. My Dad & I get some when we go up on his hunting lease.
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Mulberry is good wood. It is the only fruitwood that I use. I prefer mulberry over apple any day. I think it burns better and makes a better bed of coals than apple. I also know those who think just the opposite....

Here in Ks. its legal to trim a neighbors tree that hangs onto your property.
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Hey John, I use it quite regularly. It is very similar to apple, but the ash is alot lighter and "fluffy". I personally like the apple better for my stickburner, but to each his own, and I would deffinately not turn it down.

I believe in Mich, your property lines extend into the air and any limbs hanging over the line ar yours at the line. Talk with the nieghbor and see if you can trim it back to the main tree. Its better for the tree. They grow like weeds.
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Yes, tons of it. Good stuff. Better than apple? I don't know. I like it a lot. Nothings better than cherry though.

Tom

Comment

what eveyone else said here........i used it tonite on my smoked bacon cheeseburgers!

but i lean more to maple myself, but i have alot of diff. varieties.....mulberrry, hackberry, pear, apple, maple, cherry, and ash for heat.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to try it, but in these hallowed halls I have heard echos of how wonderful it is!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                They grow like weeds.
                Indeed...Around here people treat them like ranchers in Tx. and Ok. treat mesquite...Just cant cut them down fast enough...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

I don't have to worry about the neighbor complaining about cuttin' on the tree, he's a friend of mine. I'll just call to see if he wants the branches down or the whole tree. He used to complain about it too before he moved away. So I'll for sure for now cut the offending limbs off and cut them into 2" thick rounds on my miter saw to store in a plastic tub until they've dried enough to use.
                  That's what I do with all the odds and ends of wood I collect here and there. Cut it into a size to go right on the coals and store it in it's own labeled plastic tub.

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

I've used mulberrry and liked it! Course I also use a lot of cottonwood, something which some other stick burners I know, causes them to drop thier jaw in disbelief.

Comment

Working...
                    X