HEY!!!! GOSM Owners, wake up!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEY!!!! GOSM Owners, wake up!!!

So I have an opportunity to buy a GOSM from a Friend for 25 bucks. He used it once last spring and it's sat since then. Says it's too much hassle. He oughta try a stick burner. Anyway, I realize it's not that much to buy a new one, but beings this one has been used one single time, and that's it, I figure 25 bucks is probably a pretty good buy. And it would be nice to be able to smoke a little food once in a while without having to fire up my big stick burner. The inside is about 16 X 16 and in the neighborhood of 35 inches tall. If I remember correctly, this is the small one?

So how do you guys like your's? I mean really. You're HONEST opinion, and not just because you own it.

Do they hold temps pretty well? I see they're pretty thin walled.

Any mods that I can't live without?

Anything else you can think of?

Tom

gunny do have to yelll sheesh.....j/k
    i think i have the same one , mine is not that big and honestly i can say i love it , i use it more than my big okie joe but the only thing i dont like about is its too small for a slab of ribs or a packer usually i have to cut these in half to fit....pork butts no problem with those....but other than that i like it it was worth the $50 i paid for it and $25 is well worth to me...as for the heat i have no problem staying around 225-275 just got to fiddle with the control and find that sweet spot...i dont have any mods to mine but i do want to put a needle valve on so i can get it lower than 190 degrees.....IMHO buy it i'll think you will like it for sure....hope this helps.....

oh another thing i like about is that it is portable doesnt weigh much and i can take it camping or to wherever.....
    Last edited by doctor phreak; 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM.
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

I love my gosm. I is very easy to use (even a dummy like me can use it). I have no real mods done to mine but I do like the insolating jacket (I made) for the winter time.
      sigpic

Comment

I have the medium size GOSM. What I like about it is to be able to smoke something and when you get the temp dialed in you can go off and work on something else and check on it occationally. If you want to do any warm smoking(jerkey,sausage etc.)I'd do the needle valve mod to lower temps. I can get mine down to 150o. Even if it is the smaller unit still well worth $25.
        sigpic

GOSM/propane
        UDS (Cam)/lump
        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
        Weber Genesis/propane
        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

buy it Gunny, can always use it as a storage locker for gun cleaning supplies if nothing else LOL!!!
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I almost forgot I posted this.
            Well, I was wrong, it's not a gasser, it's friggin' charcoal. I told him I didn't want it, he said just take it. So I did. So now it's a free charcoal GOSM. What would I need to convert it? I guess just a burner, hose and regulator, huh?
            Any suggestions?

Tom

Comment

Nevermind.

Yup, burner hose and regulator. Find a used turkey fryer.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                What would I need to convert it? I guess just a burner, hose and regulator, huh?
                Any suggestions?
                http://www.gassmoker.com/index.htm

Takes all the quesswork and engineering out of it.

But since you built your own smoker, you probably have more experience at that than I do.

I have the Afterburner H for my SnP and it works great.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Thanks Dave. I have a Log Lighter, which I do love, but I think an Afterburner would probably be better suited for this job. But we'll see.

Tom

Comment

hey, why not own a piece of junk for a cheap price. check the trans see if saw dust is in it.
                    ehy I can not say anything I do not own one. but I do see a lot of used ones for sale cheap.
                    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      Thanks Dave. I have a Log Lighter, which I do love, but I think an Afterburner would probably be better suited for this job. But we'll see.
                      I love mine although I haven't used it much since I built the drum. But it is really handy and well built. A perfect fit and perfectly sized for the task at hand. Great customer service too.

Dave
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                      X