Maple Turkey Brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple Turkey Brine

Move this if needed. It has been used by Uncle-Bill for years & is my favorite Turkey brine, along with the Beer -n- Butter injection, which I will find someday & post. Funny how after a move, you can't find any underwear or clean socks, but I made DAMN SURE all my cooking, smoking, grilling stuff was where I could get to it. This was written down on a piece of paper, but I do believe it was/is the same one that was on the Little Chief Smoker owners manual/recipe book from a Little Chief I got when I was 16 or so. (30 Years ago). Nowadays, I just do it all on the smoker, or finish on the bbq.

Maple Turkey

BRINE
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp celery salt
    1 bay leaf crushed
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 tbsp pepper
    3 cups water
    Place turkey in brine for 8 to 12 hours. Remove from brine, rinse and air dry. Preheat your smoker and place the turkey on the rack (Open upper and lower cavities to expose insides to smoke flavor). Smoke with Hickory or Cherry chips for 30 minutes per pound, 3 panfuls of chips maximum. Baste with Maple syrup once during last hour of smoking. Remove from smoker and finish baking in oven at 300* about 15 minutes per pound. Baste with Honey the last hour of cooking.
    sigpic

Not too far off of what I like...huh... Seems a bit salt heavy, but that's all a timing thing too...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

The maple almost makes me wish i brined....Nice recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Got a Spatchcocked 8# Turkey brining in it right now...... Smoke or grill it tommorow.
        sigpic

Comment

BRINE
          1 tsp onion powder
          1 tsp celery salt
          1 bay leaf crushed
          1 cup dry white wine
          1 tbsp pepper
          3 cups water

3 cups of water/ What am I missing, that amount won't cover a turkey, will it?

Comment

I suppose it might being Spatchcocked and only 8 pounds. It would be close though.

Originally posted by cajun_1 View Post
            BRINE
            1 tsp onion powder
            1 tsp celery salt
            1 bay leaf crushed
            1 cup dry white wine
            1 tbsp pepper
            3 cups water

3 cups of water/ What am I missing, that amount won't cover a turkey, will it?

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
              I suppose it might being Spatchcocked and only 8 pounds. It would be close though.

In that respect, yes ... that would probably cover it.

Comment

Good points on the lack of water. The recipe I have says nothing about what size of Turkey part or whole Turkey to be used. Possibly it was developed for a breast only. It will cover a smaller spatchcocked Turkey though. I usually do it in a plastic 5 gallon bucket that fit turkeys well (tall & fairly thin) for brining & add more Wine & a little water to cover.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X