Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chinese rib flavour snackstix

Bit of background for you non-brits :-)
    I reckon at least 90% of all ribs eaten in the uk are eaten in chinese restaurants.
    People rarely cook them at home and never smoked like you guys.
    Now as I'm gearing up to start selling my smoked/cured goods to a culture that really isn't into all things jerky like. I figured I'd come up with a flavour everybody knows and loves.
    So this is my chinese rib flavoured cured meat - makes really great jerky and this is my first try at smoked rib snackstix :-)

The recipe

5lb lean pork shoulder, cubed
    2 oz cure & salt - correct amount of cure with sea salt added to 2oz
    2 oz sugar (white or brown whichever you prefer/have most of)
    2 heaped tsp chinese five spice powder
    1 tsp my ginger mousse or 2 tsps dried ginger
    1 1/2 tsp cbp
    1 tsp dried garlic powder
    1 tsp celery powder
    2 good tbs honey
    1/2 cup fine oats
    Approx 4floz jack daniels or whatever whiskey you use for cooking (in our house All whiskey is cooking whiskey as none of us drink it lol)

Grind all spices together and add to the meat. Mix well.
    Add the whiskey and and honey and mix well.
    Add the oats and (yep) mix well.

Grind twice through a very coarse grid - this is not the same as grinding once through a fine grid (I use the grid that's just big triangles)
    Mixture will be firm and quite sticky. Sorry gunny, I was in a hurry ;-)

Either stuff and leave overnight or leave overnight and then stuff into slim collagen or narrow sheep casings.

I stuff into one long roll and then twist into 7-8 inch lengths.

Treat as for jerky, smoke at around 150-160 for 6-7 hours. or run through dehydrator at 155 or combination of both.
    This is the setup I've got in the outlaw at the moment - running around 160 (ish) lol
    I tidied up the charcoal after the pic was taken.

There are three trays with sausage, 2 partially stacked - can't hang em and this works well for jerky.

I've also got a pound of paprika in there now getting good and smoky, I'll post that up in a seperate thread.

Going to give the stix a couple of hours more smoke and see what they're like. might not need dehydrator.
    More in a few hours :-)
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Points CA from me!... Interesting flavors in there. That's one of the great things about making sausages/stix, the creative part of it. Looking forward to your review.
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah Alex!!
      I can't wait to see how they are doing... amongst all the craziness around here yesterday, I did manage to get my first batch of snack stix made... I was not sure about how long they were gonna take to smoke, think I have my answer now!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

You guys are killin me...I could live on those snack sticks...well for a while anyway.
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

That rib style is around here too. Not my bag, but alot of folks like 'em. Be a good party thing for sure- thanks for the idea and starting point, as I'd have NEVER figgered that out!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

well now I've got a little dilemma lol
            I figure the stix had about 4 1/2 hours. Temp might have spiked to around 200 for a short while.

Just tasted 1 (then 2 more just to be certain, then possibly another, I lost track, this quality control is hard work ;-)
            Damn they are good !
            Firm, meaty texture. Plenty of spring, good flavour, even a little 'bite' (that ginger mousse do fight back).
            Great colour, much darker than the unsmoked hybrids from last week.

So technically they're done.
            However I've put a few in the dehydrator for another few hours - just to see.

As I intend to sell them in vac packed pairs and not by weight, it doesn't make any difference profit wise if I dry them out a bit more or not. But thought I'd do a few just to see what the difference is (I'll get back to you on those in 3 or 4 hours :-)

Oh yeah the original chinese style jerky recipe doesn't have the whiskey. But I liked the extra flavour it added to the hybrids last week so added some to these. It's a sort of sour sweetness that kicks in as a slight aftertaste.
            When I run out of whiskey I'll make them without ;-)

Rich I reckon you'll like these, to be honest i can't imagine anyone not. And you can always add some chilli and paprika
            And if you don't, everyone else will - definitely a money maker.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-08-2009, 01:34 PM.
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              well now I've got a little dilemma lol
              I figure the stix had about 4 1/2 hours. Temp might have spiked to around 200 for a short while.

Just tasted 1 (then 2 more just to be certain, then possibly another, I lost track, this quality control is hard work ;-)
              Damn they are good !
              Firm, meaty texture. Plenty of spring, good flavour, even a little 'bite' (that ginger mousse do fight back).
              Great colour, much darker than the unsmoked hybrids from last week.

So technically they're done.
              However I've put a few in the dehydrator for another few hours - just to see.

As I intend to sell them in vac packed pairs and not by weight, it doesn't make any difference profit wise if I dry them out a bit more or not. But thought I'd do a few just to see what the difference is :-)

Oh yeah the original chinese style jerky recipe doesn't have the whiskey. But I liked the extra flavour it added to the hybrids last week so added some to these.
              Ill be glad to assist you with the quality control thing.
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

lol so would the dogs - and they didn't get any either ;-)
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Those sound good Alex. I'd like to give them a try. Never hurts to have some good snack stuff around. Thanks for sharing the recipe
                  Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                  Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

well the stuff I ran an extra 3 hours in the dehydrator, not as good as the 4 1/2 hour stuff from the smoker.
                    It's okay, but the other stuff is better.
                    difficult to describe the difference, just trust me :-)

so if you're going to make these. I'd say go for 4-5 hours at 160-200 temp.
                    All it needs :-)
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Approx 4floz jack daniels or whatever whiskey you use for cooking (in our house All whiskey is cooking whiskey as none of us drink it lol)
                      WTF!!! Something wrong with that. I can't have whiskey in the house because I wouldn't have any to cook with.

Dude, where's the gay hand grinder?

Well, they look and sound delicious, but I would have used collagen casings. Just my preference for snack sticks. Giving you anyway, and I won't require a video.
                      Last edited by Gunslinger; 11-08-2009, 05:35 PM.

Tom

Comment

Man Damn Gunny....you tuff....give a Brutha a break. He did done good!
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

but I would have used collagen casings. Just my preference for snack sticks.
                          so would I - but I haven't got any :-)
                          Money is tight - so I'm using what I've got at the moment rather than buying new stuff :-)
                          (actually I'm not even doing that. sold these casings to simon last year, borowed them back last week )
                          I am keeping him fed though ;-)

I did apologise for not using the hand grinder gunny lol
                          The big one is way quicker for the double grind and I was in a hurry :-)

thanks for comment and points people. None of this stuff would ever have got made without you lot.
                          It might not look like I'm paying attention - but I am, honest :-)

(later)
                          Vacced, packed and labelled.

Just put another batch in the fridge, should be able to stuff and smoke tomorrow. Now I just have to start selling it :-)
                          Initially through friends and we'll see how that goes.
                          Got to get some collagen to try as well - if just because it's so much quicker to use.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-09-2009, 02:01 PM.
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                          X