Smoking a WIld Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking a WIld Turkey

did the search here, and before i google it, i would rather ask the members here first, if any of you have.

its a 15 lber, thats been soaked in salt water 12 hours, to remove the blood, then frozen. I plan to soak it, to remove any salt, brine it, and then inject it with a creole butter injection.

Any thing different as smoking a wild turkey compared to smoking a domestic bird? Will be smoking it wenesday, the day before turkey day. Ideas for reheating it on turkey day? Already know about steaming it, for reheating. Any other ideas?

TIA
    d88de

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

All I hear tell is they are WAAAY better than farm birds... I'm jealous! But... the .22 is loaded at my office door :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Have not either DUDE, but Turkey injected with seasoned or flavored butter is GOOD eats!... Are ya gonna Spatchcock that baby?
      sigpic

Comment

naw, going to stuff a tomatoe juice can up its butt. a take off of the beer can chicken method. werks REALLY well with a turkey

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I have never done an entire bird. I usually just take the breast. I have heard the legs and thighs leave something to be desired as they do a lot more walking and running around than their store bought cousins.

This breast I did I injected and smoked it as normal. I wrapped it in bacon because it was skinned.

I would do it no different than a store bought bird Steve.

Keith

Comment

Well you already heard about the tomato juice can. Wrap that puppy in bacon. But I got to tell ya, I am jealous. Don't think I have ever done a 15 pounder thats a big one. Mine always seem to be down around 11 or 12. Rub her up in butter, throw on some rub under the bacon. But I have also never done one the day before. Around here we tend to do them same day as the meal right along side a pheasant.

Post some pics before and after. I wanna see the outcome on this one. Got me sitting in drumstick heaven.
            sigpic

Comment

I am doing this for a buddy, and his family. So it has to be done the day before

Comment

I don't do whole wild birds, the legs and thighs are just too tough. You are better off to remove the legs and thighs and just smoke the breast. You can debone the legs and thighs and then grind the meat to use in sausage, fatties , meat loaf, turkey Lasagna etc. or they can be stewed until the meat comes off the bones.
                Col. Big Guy

Comment

Smoke at least one wild turkey every spring or fall and never had a one come out tough. Not the legs, not the thighs and not the breast. You just have to do your prep work, watch the smoke temp and meat temp real close. That bacon will help a lot. When I smoke mine its upright over the can set in a pan. I just syphon some of the juices out of the pan and give it a quick squirt every once in a while. That bird is just fine.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have also only ever done just the breast. I brined it and wrapped it in bacon like has been suggested. It came out great.
                    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

normally you want to freeze any wild game a minimum of 6 months to kill off any parasites but if you HAVE to do it,wrap it in bacon & remember it's a lot leaner than farm bird.
                      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                      cast iron Hibachi
                      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                      & rotisserator
                      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                      my music recordings-
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                        I have never done an entire bird. I usually just take the breast. I have heard the legs and thighs leave something to be desired as they do a lot more walking and running around than their store bought cousins.

This breast I did I injected and smoked it as normal. I wrapped it in bacon because it was skinned.

I would do it no different than a store bought bird Steve.

I agree, I used to try every thing under the sun with wild turkeys. now I breast em and just use the breast to feed on. the rest the coyotes get.
                        tendons are a big minus for the other parts. plus. I personly think they taste fowl. But the injection will help defeat their natural basting. hope it turns out good for you and yours. But, I would have a back up byrd just incase.
                        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Working...
                        X