Steelhead.. who knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steelhead.. who knew?

I have heard all of your fishermen talking about steelhead, most recently Scott. I had never heard of them nor had the pleasure of eating one.. so today I am at the store.. between soccer and laundry and work.. no time to smoke anything.. or make sausage.. more Cabana boy can't make his mind up what he wants for dinner, the baby girl would just eat noodles.. so to heck with it I got to the fish counter.. and low and behold bam a steelhead! the last one.. I nabbed it!

So I was unsure about the flavor so I marinated it for a couple of hours in Trader Joes Soykiaki sauce (I don't care for teriaki sauce at all, this is very light and gingery)

It went on the "webby" over in-direct heat for about 1 1/2 hours with some apple chips....

Off it came...

Here is Cabana boys plate cuz he "doesn't like fish"

Mind you he came back to get seconds! Steelhead rocks! Love it! much like a sea bass.. YUMMY!! thanks again you guys, I never stop learning here.. well I could use some help with the fantasy football...

Since I am sooo far behind... and I did these by myself so pictures were really not an option.. Da Da DA DAAA my first go at snack stix.. I smoked them for two hours.. and then finished in the dehydrator...

I did learn that pix of the whole process is essential for a project like snack stix, cuz no one believed I made them! (I did cheat and use a kit from BPS - HI mtn snack stix) BUT YUM!
    Here is the one of the other reasons I have been so busy.. Cabana boy had his first homecoming...
    I thought 16 year old girls would be bad... sheesh.. 16 year old boys are worse!! Cabana boy is the one who looks like me! ;)

Thanks for checking out my last few weekends!!! Happy smokes everyone!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

AhhhHaaa, all is well in BBQGVille!..... Your kids look wonderful & what an exciting time eh? I just went through it with my Gman...... As for Steelhead, it sure looks like you did it proud to me & it sure looked perfect. Up here in Washington, they actually swim in rivers & we "sometimes" catch them

But no doubt, they are high quality grilling & smoking fare.

As for the snack stix!.... They look PRO & the Hi-Mountain stuff is great, at least I think so! Excellent work (as usual) & keep it up! for being the mom on the go-run-dash-sprint-hustle to get it all done, AND fit in a college football game on the most over-rated team in the NCAA.... Sorry MR. Carol.

On edit.... You have UCLA colors on the edge of your counter tops..... WTF?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      AhhhHaaa, all is well in BBQGVille!..... Your kids look wonderful & what an exciting time eh? I just went through it with my Gman...... As for Steelhead, it sure looks like you did it proud to me & it sure looked perfect. Up here in Washington, they actually swim in rivers & we "sometimes" catch them

But no doubt, they are high quality grilling & smoking fare.

As for the snack stix!.... They look PRO & the Hi-Mountain stuff is great, at least I think so! Excellent work (as usual) & keep it up! for being the mom on the go-run-dash-sprint-hustle to get it all done, AND fit in a college football game on the most over-rated team in the NCAA.... Sorry MR. Carol.

On edit.... You have UCLA colors on the edge of your counter tops..... WTF?
      SHHHHH!! don't tell my dad! I bleed cardinal and gold! ;)
      But for my dream kitchen.. it would be similar to that other teams colors... LOL!

Thanks for the pts! My sausage mentor!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Wow all turned out great BBQG. to ya for that great spread...
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

That all looks so good I had to give you . I was born and raised in Michigan and still have never tried steelhead. Thanks for the report.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Great Job BBQG! I firmely believe salmon, trout, and steelhead make some of the best smoked fish there is.
            sigpic

Comment

Wow that sure looks good Kelly! I really...really...really...Hate not having seconds Hope Tim had a blast at Home Coming ! Looking good bud
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Nice Job Girl, and cool pics. Happy birthday too! Looks like your a busy thing these days. Good for you!

Yes steelhead is great, and a ton of fun to catch too!
                Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Wow Kelly. Nice snack sticks and the steely looks great too. Just exactly how is it your not married? I have friend that loves good cooking. You interested?

Tom

Comment

That is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

dang, me and capt dan were trying to keep that a secret!!! looks great as always Kel!!!
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Looks great as usual, Kelly!
                        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Nice....real nice!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

a kit for sausage ???
                            tempted to give ya negative points - but you redeemed yourself with the fish :-) lol (and it's your birthday week too)
                            have to admit smoked trout is great.
                            And that looks like some nice fillet.

I mean they look like great snackstix. but a kit ? lol I'm shocked.
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                            X