8% Solution in Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8% Solution in Turkey

Went to the store last night looking for "ye ol turkey" for next Thursday. The lowest solution I could find was 8%. Doesn't leave much for brining. Maybe use a smaller amount of salt in the brine I use? Any thoughts? Maybe continue looking for one with lower % of solution?

Skip the brine. It's already done for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
      Skip the brine. It's already done for you!
      Kinda my thought also. Thanks Bubba.

Comment

3 years ago, I smoked 3 turkeys at work. Each of us had to bring something. I brought a cheap minimally processed turkey, .58/lb I think. Another guy brought an expensive Butterball, even though I told him to go cheap. And the other one was a wild tom that had been harvested the weekend before.
        I brined my cheap bird and the wild one, and left the Butterball alone. I spatchcocked each of them then smoked them in the typical fashion with oak and persimmons.
        After all said and done, the cheap bird was the best hands down of the 3. The Butterball was tough compared to the cheap one and the wild one was tough as suspected. All were very edible, but the best was the best and that was the opinion of all 16 people who sampled.

Tom

Comment

Thanks...been my experience.I do not like them ever frozen either...

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          3 years ago, I smoked 3 turkeys at work. Each of us had to bring something. I brought a cheap minimally processed turkey, .58/lb I think. Another guy brought an expensive Butterball, even though I told him to go cheap. And the other one was a wild tom that had been harvested the weekend before.
          I brined my cheap bird and the wild one, and left the Butterball alone. I spatchcocked each of them then smoked them in the typical fashion with oak and persimmons.
          After all said and done, the cheap bird was the best hands down of the 3. The Butterball was tough compared to the cheap one and the wild one was tough as suspected. All were very edible, but the best was the best and that was the opinion of all 16 people who sampled.

Comment

You COULD try a lower concentration brine, but alot of the advantages of the brine have been lessened. A spice heavy lightly salted and perhaps with half white wine will produce some results, but as I said, not as much as a fresh bird.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

when i get a 'BRINED' bird, i soak for 2 todays, to remove the brine, changing the water often. THEN i use my normal molasses brine with a lower amount of salt. I also inject with the brine. Some of the moistish (is that a werd?) bird ever!! Even the white meat, which i am not a fan of.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Our Sam's club In Ames carries a green labeled Tysons poultry,organic and not enhanced ,and it's only a few cents a # more,usually the same price as a juiced bird. Sams also beats any local prices/sales by .05-.10 cents/#. Not sure if they carrie all this organic and none enhanced meats because of the whole foods people here or what, I would blame it on the vegetarians, but..........
                My food WAS a vegaterian!!
                Death Row Outfitters

Comment

Working...
                X