Christmas is right around the corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas is right around the corner

My family does a lottery type gift exchange for Christmas. The rules are pretty simple. The gift has to be homemade by the gift giver. And we usually choose a theme and this year the theme is food.
    I drew my sister-in-law that lives here in SW Missouri and I'm building her a UDS and throwing in a brisket, some rubs, and other related items.
    My wife drew my other SIL that lives in Atlantic Iowa. She decided to give her a bunch of homemade food. Corn cob jelly, apple butter, pumpkin butter, honey, different relishes and pickles, are among some of the items she has in mind. Anyway, she wanted a nice basket for all this stuff, and I suggested a bread basket. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut.
    Here's what I spent the morning doing. Good news is I get to work tomorrow.

Started with a basic white bread recipe, a stainless bowl, and a pizza pan. I can bake a mean loaf of bread, but a basket weaver I ain't.

Fresh out of the oven.

I'll let this stale and get hard. It won't last forever, but she should be able to serve her dinner rolls out of it for a couple years, if the mice don't get to it.

Tom

POINTS ! ! ! !

dude, varnish or laquer it, should last till someone drops summin heavy on it........lolol

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

That is cool....I like it!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        I drew my sister-in-law that lives here in SW Missouri and I'm building her a UDS and throwing in a brisket, some rubs, and other related items.
        how i wish i was iyour sister in law.
        sigpic
        GO GATORS.
        Raymond Cato
        MOJO SMOKEHOUSE BBQ TEAM.
        125 Gallon Stickburner yet to be named
        BBQ GRILLWARE STAINLESS CHARCOAL
        2 ecbs
        bbq pro offset
        18.5"WSM
        22" WSM
        22" WEBER OTS
        smoked meat member #57

Comment

That's a real nice basket Gunny. Your weave looks good to me bud!
          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Your basket looks purty durned good to me.

Comment

That's about the prettiest bread basket I've ever seen! Nice, Gunny.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I'll be damned... how friggin' cool is THAT?!?

SOMEONE'S gonna be getting some salad leafs added to their header...
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for sharing this.Nice idea your family does on the gifts...

Comment

Too fricking cool there Gunny, great job with that weave.
                    20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
                    36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
                    22" webber
                    several burners
                    pool/spa (of course)
                    sigpic

Comment

hey gunny, how bout a video of you doing this, for us ametures(sp)

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

heres a link on shellacing bread for ornaments

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,164,1...229206,00.html

Comment

You are amazing Tom!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                            hey gunny, how bout a video of you doing this, for us ametures(sp)
                            Well, if we're talking amateurs, how can I possibly do a video? I only do this stuff for fun. Besides, that sucker took me 3 hours. I'll post the link that got me going tho.
                            http://www.ehow.com/how_4591283_real...ng-dinner.html And this basket makes mine look pretty crappy.
                            The difference is, I didn't use frozen bread (talk about sacrilege). I didn't use cardboard in the rim, and because of how tight she wove hers, the strips blended so well it doesn't even look woven. But it still looks good.
                            If you do one of these, I would suggest covering the bottom of the bowl with foil about half way through baking. I noticed mine getting very brown, and I used the convection oven for this one.

Tom

Comment

Now THAT is cool!!

Dave
                              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                              -
                              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                              X