• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trash Can Turkey

Cooking a Turkey in a Trash Can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVxNFlqwTYw
    sigpic

That's not a trash can. Its an Arkansas dutch oven!
    Keith

Comment

Ain't happenin! Louie would kick my behind!....
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looked good but I'll stick with my webber,
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

I wonder how the zink taste's...
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
            I wonder how the zink taste's...

Actually, contrary to the beliefs of many, the hot dip process of galvanized coating (ASTM A123) doesn't outgas under a cooking temperature. A much higher temp., above 700*F is required. Though this coating is physically stable at safe temeratures I'd still strongly suggest curing the can with and extended heat prior to use.

Abstract A common phenomenon in the process industries is the oxidation of the exterior surface of steel pipes used in superheated steam or hot oils networks. For their protection different coatings could be used. In the present work the performance of zinc coatings deposited with hot-dip galvanizing, pack cementation and thermal spraying was considered, in order to protect industrial equipment up to 400°C. For that purpose coated carbon steel coupons were exposed at 400°C and their behavior was examined with light microscopy, scanning electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction.
            Thermogravimetric analysis was also used in order to observe in situ the oxidation phenomena. From this investigation it was deduced that in every coating a scale is formed that is mainly composed of ZnO, while Fe oxides were also detected in galvanized and pack coatings. The growth of this scale took place at the metal/scale interface. Moreover, as far as it regards the kinetics of the oxidation, it was concluded that the increase of the mass of the specimens is a function of the square root of the exposure time, which means that the scale formed is rather protective for the underlying zinc. From the above observation it seems that the behavior of zinc coatings would be excellent at 400°C. However, the presence of the Fe/Zn phases inside the galvanized and pack coatings led to the formation of cracks, which could expose the substrate and thus destabilize the coating. This phenomenon does not take place in the thermal sprayed coatings, where the Fe/Zn phases are absent.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/d61pp3742w4628x6/
            Last edited by DangerDan; 11-18-2009, 07:04 PM.
            sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

neat idea, but I still would not use a galvinized can are zinc any plated can for that matter. not even an aluminum vessel.
              heck i reckon the ole uds could come in handy turn her upside down and have at it.
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by DangerDan View Post
                Actually, contrary to the beliefs of many, the hot dip process of galvanized coating (ASTM A123) doesn't outgas under a cooking temperature. A much higher temp., above 700*F is required. Though this coating is physically stable at safe temeratures I'd still strongly suggest curing the can with and extended heat prior to use.

Abstract A common phenomenon in the process industries is the oxidation of the exterior surface of steel pipes used in superheated steam or hot oils networks. For their protection different coatings could be used. In the present work the performance of zinc coatings deposited with hot-dip galvanizing, pack cementation and thermal spraying was considered, in order to protect industrial equipment up to 400°C. For that purpose coated carbon steel coupons were exposed at 400°C and their behavior was examined with light microscopy, scanning electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction.
                Thermogravimetric analysis was also used in order to observe in situ the oxidation phenomena. From this investigation it was deduced that in every coating a scale is formed that is mainly composed of ZnO, while Fe oxides were also detected in galvanized and pack coatings. The growth of this scale took place at the metal/scale interface. Moreover, as far as it regards the kinetics of the oxidation, it was concluded that the increase of the mass of the specimens is a function of the square root of the exposure time, which means that the scale formed is rather protective for the underlying zinc. From the above observation it seems that the behavior of zinc coatings would be excellent at 400°C. However, the presence of the Fe/Zn phases inside the galvanized and pack coatings led to the formation of cracks, which could expose the substrate and thus destabilize the coating. This phenomenon does not take place in the thermal sprayed coatings, where the Fe/Zn phases are absent.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/d61pp3742w4628x6/

I will still err on the side of caution... Putting that many briquettes on and around the can, I think not. To close for comfort for me..

I'm not saying you cant use it.. I just dont trust direct contact with the heat source...
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I think I'll stick with the UDS.

And avoid galvanized stuff. Not that I disagree with the quoted article. You just can't be sure if all things are manufactured properly or where they come from these days.

I did like the word "Thermogravimetric" though. I'll have to try and weave that into a conversation this week.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                    I will still err on the side of caution... Putting that many briquettes on and around the can, I think not. To close for comfort for me..

I'm not saying you cant use it.. I just dont trust direct contact with the heat source...
                    Surely if they are bringing coals into contact with the trashcan they are over the safe leveles temp wise and there kids'll turnout to be bankrobbers & serial killers.
                    sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Originally posted by DangerDan View Post
                      Surely if they are bringing coals into contact with the trashcan they are over the safe leveles temp wise and there kids'll turnout to be bankrobbers & serial killers.
                      More likely Lawyers & Congressmen
                      Last edited by Fishawn; 11-18-2009, 09:15 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Galvie aside (which I will pass as well) - any welder worth his salt will tell you that.

Galvie aside - what is this thing gonna taste like? I mean, yes, I do cook some of mine in a oven, and that ain't much difference, but...

I LOVE the idea, but I think a smoker is more in order - just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          More likely Lawyers & Congressmen
                          Where is the blinking red siren??? SPEW ALERT! rotflmao!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by workoutchamp View Post
                            Galvie aside - what is this thing gonna taste like? I mean, yes, I do cook some of mine in a oven, and that ain't much difference, but...
                            Yeah, there is a certain novelty aspect of it I suppose. It really doesn't do much for me though even if it wasn't galvanized.

Saw a Paula Dean episode where she made cornbread on a shovel over an open fire. She said this is how they "might" have done it in the old days. Now, in the old days if they could have a production assistant bring them a brand new, shiny clean shovel maybe. But I doubt too many people would want to be eating food cooked off a shovel considering what the shovel was probably used for in the old days.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                              That's not a trash can. Its an Arkansas dutch oven!
                              rofl....i like it Keith

2 Weber Kettles
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
                              Brinkman ECB
                              Charbroil 940X
                              Project UDS
                              Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

Working...
                              X