Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soy protein concentrate and fresh sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soy protein concentrate and fresh sausage?

Ok, I have a question about SPC and fresh sausage. I use it all the time with smoked sausage but have never used it with fresh sausage.

Should I try it with my fresh sausage? If yes why and if no why.

Richtee I am the Fritz from way back, just don't post much but always looking for new thins to try.

BTW this is for brats.

Thanks,
    Fritz

In my fresh sausage I use powdered milk in stead of SPC, its cheaper , easily found and does the same job. That is it helps bind the sausage, and retains moisture, improves mouth feel, and makes your sausages juicy and succulent.
    Col. Big Guy

Comment

Welll howdee man! How ya been? I'm not a good one for this question tho, as I don't use it. I just depend on a fair amount of fat, or I smoke and hang the sausage till it dries a bit. Not a soft smoked fan. I'd think it would be more use in leaner fresh than smoked... no?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I don't use it with fresh sausage, but it I guess it wouldn't hurt. Fresh sausage typically has plenty of fat to bind and hold moisture, so it's juicy enough without it.
        I've seen others use the powdered milk like BG does. Remember though, that's not the same thing as instant milk.

Tom

Comment

Rytek Kutas talks about it being used in commercial hamburgers, so it should be fine in fresh sausage.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
            Rytek Kutas talks about it being used in commercial hamburgers, so it should be fine in fresh sausage.
            That's funny you mention that. I read that a couple days ago and told my wife to try it the next time we have shit burger.

Tom

Comment

I think that commercial use is mostly to create more weight in the final product by retaining moisture, as most of these products are sold by the pound.

It can also sometimes make a sausage grainy tasting. I'm starting to shy away from it.
              Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                That's funny you mention that. I read that a couple days ago and told my wife to try it the next time we have shit burger.
                You didn't use it the last time you had shit burger?
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                X