Electric Charcoal Starter For Cheese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Charcoal Starter For Cheese?

I've never used an electric charcoal starter so I know nothing about them. How hot do they get? After seeing where someone used a can full of wood pellets and a soldering iron to generate smoke for cheese, I wondered if you could use a pan of wood chips/pellets/chunks with an electric charcoal starter in them to generate heat and smoke. I would either use my gas grill and put the cheese on the warming rack or my ECB which I basically have no use for now that I've built a drum and have more on the way.

And another thing, how deeply does smoke penetrate home smoked cheese? I know that when I buy smoked cheese every bit of it tastes smoky. If you're supposed to let cheese set out so that the outside hardens a little before smoking, how does the smoke penetrate?

Not sure how hot the charcoal starter gets. I'd use the ECB. Want to keep the cheese away from the heat. Need to keep it under 100 degrees. 80 is ideal. Test it out with a dry run and see what temps you get.

As far as smoke penetration goes.... I usually see about an 1/8th inch if sliced. But vac'in' it and leaving it in the fridge for 5 to 7 days sort of evens it out. If you get what I'm saying.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

I have never used one (electric charcoal starter) but have seen them used to start coal. they get red hot in no time and get the coals going. so, I think the heat from it if close to the cheese might cause a melt down. heck I made a ply wood box I insulated and put a 50w light bulb in it to keep weldin rods dry and warm. you needed gloves to handle the rods when you took them out.
      seems smoking cheese might be an exact science. heated smoke flowing softly over and around the cheese with temps that will create the smoke while helping to soften the cheese for penatration of the smoke I have a friend that owns several cheese plants two here in NM and a couple in Wis. he has had more folks bring smoked cheese to him, so far he has given a thumbs down to all of them. when I get my smokin Tex going, it has a cold smoke plate for smoking cheese and other delicate things. we are going to give it our best shot using all types of wood that we have bought in preperation for this.
      when this will happen. still have to get the shack fixed up and the shop / gun vault finished.
      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I've also seen somewhere where they either put the cheese right on cubes of Ice in a aluminum pan, or right above the cubes. I think I need to smoke some more cheese now.....
        sigpic

Comment

the longer you cold smoke it the stronger the taste. also as RR stated, the longer it sits, the deeper the penetration of the smoke taste. Soft/white cheeses take smoke very easy, where as yellow/hard cheeses, you need to cold smoke longer.

Its really up to your taste buds, on how long to smoke it. So you will need to do a trial and error tasting. I normally slice a bit off the cheese after a hour to taste. But you need to member, it will taste stronger after it sits awhile........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
            the longer you cold smoke it the stronger the taste. also as RR stated, the longer it sits, the deeper the penetration of the smoke taste. Soft/white cheeses take smoke very easy, where as yellow/hard cheeses, you need to cold smoke longer.

Its really up to your taste buds, on how long to smoke it. So you will need to do a trial and error tasting. I normally slice a bit off the cheese after a hour to taste. But you need to member, it will taste stronger after it sits awhile........
            interesting will keep it in mind thanks WD
            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

After seeing where someone used a can full of wood pellets and a soldering iron to generate smoke for cheese,
              yep that works.

I tend to smoke mature cheddar for 2 hours, clingfilm it and leave in the fridge for a couple of days before tasting. And yep, it all tastes smokey.
              If you then vacpack it, it'll keep for many months.

Got to get some done for christmas baskets too.
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
              X