Buckboard bacon question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckboard bacon question

Does anybody know what it is that defines Buckboard bacon?

Is Buckboard bacon flavor related or the cut of meat being cured?

Da cut... da butt :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That's kinda what I thought, thanks guys.

Kind of a stupid question but try and understand I've been under the influence of cold medications for 2 1/2 weeks now so I'm happy to remember to get up to pee at night.

I've got a buckboard going in, in a matter of minutes. I'm trying a new recipe.

Comment

Hmmmmm we are supposed to remember to get up pee in the night? Maybe if I remember I can have my big boy underwear back. I hate my plastic sheets.
        If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
        Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
          Hmmmmm we are supposed to remember to get up pee in the night? Maybe if I remember I can have my big boy underwear back. I hate my plastic sheets.
          Too funny....

Don't tell anyone else or they might razz me but I actually do have a plastic mattress cover since it's also my couch during the day. But a funny story, my Golden has had a few seizures over the last 5 years and I did some research and learned that diet can ease or heal that situation and vitamin B seemed to be a key player in controlling the problem. So I go to my pharmacy where I have a great relationship with the pharmacist and ask if it would be possible to over vitamin B a dog by giving him a supliment tablet and he said absolutely not since he will simply pee out any extra; so I administered V B.

Here's the funny part; that dog would hold it for 12 hours if I wasn't home but after giving him a V B tablet; there he is standing on my bed as if nothing is wrong or going on peeing his heart out. You're telling me pees out the extra so much so that apparently they don't even know they're peeing cuz I was standing right there watching and he thought I was nuts yelling at him. Thank God for plastic mattress covers and it wasnt his fault; dad tripped him up.

Comment

I'll tell you what if it tastes half as good as it smells, this is a real winner. Sorry no pictures (yet), I wrapped it outside in the dark and dont want to unwrap it; plus I'm still sick and dont feel like it now. Tomorrow I'll slice it after a night in the fridge and hopefully take some shots then.

This is the recipe....

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bacon-buckboard.pdf

Comment

Does buckboard bacon taste like regular bacon?
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                My answer would be no. Buckboard bacon is 70% lean so the fat content is a bog part of the flavor difference. But then I've never cured a pork butt like bacon you buy in the store; I imagine if you did they would be pretty similar with the difference still being the fat content.

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post

Only one way to find out...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

They do taste some different, but man are they good! I sell a fair bit to folks who wan't a leaner bacon.
                    sigpic

Comment

I think I've cured most parts of the pig to date.
                      plus some other animals - it's pretty much is all the same - only difference wouild be in the cure spices and fat content.
                      And whether or not it's smoked.

I did some turkey thigh a while back - and unless you were told you'd not know it wasn't pork.

But it's all good and all better than the junk in the shops :-)
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                      X