Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pork Pirogues (Or Bread Pasty's ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Pork Pirogues (Or Bread Pasty's ;-)

Made some pirogues last week.
    Used the smoked pork I'd done earlier in the week.
    For the rest of the filling I cooked up some pasty veg: turnip, carrot & oinion cooked in butter with a little cbp.

I also had some leftover sauce from the turkey leg and thigh I roasted the day before. basically the turkey was cooked in apple juice with garlic and pepper, added some blackcurrant jelly to that for the sauce.

Mixed the pork, sauce and veggies up.
    Man was that tasty, if I hadn't already got the dough on the go I'd have just chowed down on the bowl of filling :-)

For the dough I went for a mostly white flour with a little granary. olive oil, herbs and some cbp. Gunny LOOK AWAY NOW - this might prove traumatic otherwise ;-)

Made some great dough (about a pound and a half). I split it into 8 parts.
    rolled out an eighth dolloped a lot of filling in the middle brushed the edge with beaten egg. and crimped.

Ran mostly out of filling after 6. So the remainder of dough I rolled out and spread the little bit of filling (mostly veggies) over and rolled into a loaf.

Turned out rather good. I tried the first slice with some garlic cream cheese on - not bad. second slice with ketchup - also not bad. Made the mistake of trying one with both cheese and ketchup - now that was a mistake. I'd eaten the whole thing 10 minutes later !

The pirogues turned out pretty good.

But if I'm honest I definitely prefer my pasties made with a shortcrust pastry and not a bread wrapping.
    These were good, but I can't help feeling they'd have been better with pastry lol
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Great idea & they look really tasty.... I should give you points just for having vegetables included
    sigpic

Comment

I did try and get a pretty high meat to veg ratio lol

Dunno whether it's just what I'm used to but I definitely prefer a pastry case to a bread case. don't get me wrong I did eat 4 of those (not all at once)
      :-)
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

anyway, for the whole dish. I can forgive the bread thing. We know limey's can't make bread anyway.

Tom

Comment

Very nice.I will take 3 to go...

Comment

We know limey's can't make bread anyway.
            that's what the machine is for :-) lol
            It's the one kitchen gadget I'd not be without.

I wake up in front of the telly, load the machine on auto pilot. and got fresh loaf of bread in the morning :-)
            Brilliant.
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

It all Looks great to me
              JT

Comment

Working...
              X