Now, I have to....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, I have to....

Wait 8 days to smoke these 3. If anyone has not tried CB yet, it is so good & so easy. Just that Damn waiting period.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

All the best Fishawn. Can't wait to see the outcome...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Some tasty flavors you got going on, Scott! There's a lot of us waiting this week together, huh?!
      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
      Pink Thermapen
      Purple Thermapen

Comment

got three fully cured loins in the fridge - but if the weather tomorrow is like today - it ain't gonner get smoked.

Had a bunch of chillis in there for about 7 hours - what with the wind, rain and general shitty coldness - can't get her up to temp.

should be good and smoky chipotles though :-)
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Peameal bacon is even easier. Just brine cure the loin. wash it off, pat dry, roll in corn meal, slice and fry.
          Col. Big Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Wait 8 days to smoke these 3. If anyone has not tried CB yet, it is so good & so easy. Just that Damn waiting period.
            Lookin good scott..

The waiting really doesn't seem to bother me on short runs. I'ts the second year hams I think I'm gonna have trouble with...

If I do some brine cures inbetween that'll hopefully fulfill my needs in the interim.
            sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

fish ,
              i agree the wait time is killer....looks like a good set of CB...very interested on the last one with rosemary
              Mike
              Oklahoma City
              22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
              Weber 22.5 Performer
              GOSM 3405gw
              Boomer Sooner Drum
              Maverick ET-732
              Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
              A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Scott its now the "making bacon shack"!
                I love the flavors of the last one, I haved to get my arse in gear this am and get on my sausage and cb... your post has inspired me for sure!

DD, hell cb is a walk in the park for you salume heads! You guys got the mega patience gene!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                  There's a lot of us waiting this week together, huh?!
                  Yep.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Roll Call

I made it!........

All cured 7 days & Into the smoker @ 225* with a Hickory Sauna. Planning on taking to 160* then cooling & slicing. The one on the right with all the herbs & seasonings almost ended up Dark Brown or Dark Red in color, smells really good, we'll see

Left: Brown Sugar Only.

Center: CBP, Brown Sugar, Garlic & Maple Syrup.

Right: Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Paprika, Allspice, Oregano, Celery Salt, Chives, Coriander, Onion Salt.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Nice! But also FYI...145° (SOME say 142°) is safe for "ready to eat" loin.

I take mine higher too...150 anyway.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice....I like em from right to left! Swear I can smell that one on the right!
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yeah, the never ending temperature debate on CB...

Lots of different views on this. My last post on this & the 1st time I did it, I took them to 160* and thought it was fantastic. I read Kutas' says 142* on his style of cured CB..... I guess I got about 3-4 beers until I get to the point of figuring out what I'm gonna do...
                          sigpic

Comment

I guess I got about 3-4 beers until I get to the point of figuring out what I'm gonna do...
                            That should be long enough ;{) Hey whatever you like. But don't worry if you'd like to keep it a bit rarer, and tenderer than 160°'s gonna give you is all.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Left: TQ & Brown Sugar

Middle: TQ, Brown Sugar, CBP, Maple Syrup, Garlic

Right: 10 Spice

Smoking time/temp: Smoked @ 225* until internal temps hit 155*

REVIEWS

Left: Classic, mild, everyone should at least think it's pretty good.... 8-10/10

Middle: Bolder, more flavor with the Garlic, some heat from the CBP & sweet from the the BS & Maple Syrup...... Scored the highest overall..... 8.5-9.5/10

Right: Had the 10 spices rubbed on it during the cure & smoke.... It initially tasted pretty salty & intense with all the herbs on it..... I soaked it in water for 1 hour & scraped/scrubbed off the outter coating of herbs. The initial score was about a 5-6/10, due to the salty taste & strong herb taste. The soak in water & scrubbing helped it out & mellowed it out, but still it retained the herb flavors without the salt..... 7-8/10

Conclusion

For me, the simple sweet & the sweet with heat were my favorites. I think bacon was meant to be sweetened just a bit & a good light smoke improves it also I think. The addition of random herbs/spices to be included in the cure process (Loin on Right) was not initially all that good. The soaking of this loin & removal of the herb crust on the outside made it a decent CB. It did retain the flavor of the herbs & it was the dryest of the 3 CB loins. Next time Loins go on sale, I will be at it again.

If you have not yet made Canadian Bacon, it is SO worth it. The hardest thing is waiting the 7-10 days +/- for the curing process to be completed. I have not yet read anywhere on here that it was "Not Good" or a "Waste of Time".... It's easy, economical & fantastic! TRY IT
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Fishawn; 11-27-2009, 12:58 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X