A beginner question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A beginner question

As some know I have not been here all that long and truthfully don't know too much about smoking meat. I have read most of the various articles here and I would like to go the "stick-burner" route but from what I have seen they are a bit out of the budget for me at this time. While surfing around Ebay and Craigs List I came upon a propane operated version that looked as though it would do what I would need too. Just looking for some opinions from the "oldtimers" as it were...

Item Description
    # 38" Low pressure propane smoker
    # 20,000 BTU's
    # 3 sliding cabinet racks
    # 1 Sliding marinade rack
    # 3 sausage hanging racks
    # Removable porcelain water pan
    # Removable cast iron wood chip pan with vented lid
    # Side door for easy access and minimal heat loss
    # Two adjustable side dampers
    # Smokestack with damper and red "hot" signal
    # Large temperature gauge on front door
    # Heat resistant handles
    # Piezo lighting system
    # Listed LP hose and regulator with type 1 connection
    # Instruction/Recipe booklet
    # CSA Design Certified
    # Dimensions: 17 1/2"L x 15.5"W x 57"H
    Attached Files

Those can usually be had pretty cheap, although I have no personal experience. As long as it will maintain a temperature in the low to mid 200's for a duration of time, it will make great que.
    Keith

Comment

Looks like a GOSM clone- they do work, but if you are wanting to move UP to a stickburner, I suggest you start with a charcoal unit and learn yer fires :{)
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

or start with a more contollable unit like the one you pictured... they do more than just work. spen your time learning the lo and slow cookimg methods and you will for surley be addictted to the hobby. then if you wish you could start dabbling with stickburners... and its not a DOWN move if you chose a propane or lectric to start, important thing is to get you smoking some great food asap... odds are if you take to it you will have more than one smoker anyway.
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Looks like a GOSM clone- they do work, but if you are wanting to move UP to a stickburner, I suggest you start with a charcoal unit and learn yer fires :{)
          I have to agree with Rich here. I just love my stick burner...
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Looked at several. I love smoked meat and fish. I was a boy scout so I can burn anything... I see that the bandera can be close to the same cost so I may consider that but I cannot find a local source which means driving 1300 miles or so or trying to figure out how to get one here. I am putting a list of items together that I will post here for definitions as well. Made 600 pounds of venison sausage at a time long ago but never smoked it. Time to move from website work to food as at least there is a return for the effort...

Comment

I'd suggest also keeping your eye on Craigslist and local for sale columns- this time of year alot of folks give up on trying to smoke food and sell smokers cheap.

They should have came here instead
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

and its not a DOWN move if you chose a propane or lectric to start, important thing is to get you smoking some great food asap... odds are if you take to it you will have more than one smoker anyway.
                I'll go with that.
                Went from electric to charcoal - charcoal is way better and running costs are a fraction of the electric. But a set and forget smoker to get you up and running really helps boost your confidence before you start messing about with real fire.
                Had some real nice smokes from the bradley before it died and I set fire to it (accidentally lol) :-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                X