Canadian bacon (english ham) 3 kinds thereof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian bacon (english ham) 3 kinds thereof

Cured some loin - been over 2 weeks finally got them smoked this morning/afternoon - mainly down to time & weather combining. ie: I needed the time I'd be around and the weather wasn't either blowing a gale or raining tropical downpours (but with very cold water) - generally both simultaneously.

Three types of cure:
    Again bear in mind I use a prague 1 kind of cure salt. two of these cures i didn't want to taste salty. I'm not sure how you get round that if you use tq

this is per kg (2.2 lb) of meat. Each of the three loin hunks was around the 1kg mark (which was useful)

1) Garlic and paprika

15gm cure salt - 0.52 oz
    10gm salt - 0.35 oz
    15 gm - 1/2 oz sugar
    1tsp garlic powder
    3 tsp smoked paprika (regular will do)
    1 tsp cbp.

2) Sweet Cure

0.52 oz cure salt
    1 oz sugar (white or brown whatever)
    1 tsp coriander seeds (I grind it all together, use coriander powder if you don't got a grinder)
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

3) Traditional Cure - this one's great if you've got a rare breed pig or wild boar. It's pretty much what the stuff you buy in the shops is cured with. Plus I think this is pretty much what TQ is (rich will know for sure)

0.52 oz cure
    0.52 oz seasalt
    0.52 oz sugar

For all recipes I mix and grind all the ingredients to a fine powder. Rub liberally all over the meat and then pack into a ziploc bag for about a week (or in this case 2 1/2 weeks lol).

Top one is the traditional, middle one is the sweetcure (I know this because I cut a few slices and fried during the week ;-)
    And the biggest one is the paprika.

Here's the: finished-at-150-out-of-the-smoker-and-about-to-be-foiled-to-cool-down pic

Traditional on the left, sweet cure on the right and paprika on top :-)

I'll probably leave it to cool, fridge overnight and slice it up tomorrow.

Really interested to see how the paprika one has turned out - the only one I've tasted so far is the sweetcure. Going to wait till the smoke's cleared from my system and my tastebuds are working again lol
    Oh and I'm still smoking with oak (till it runs out)
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Very Nice
    JT

Comment

Looks and sounds really good so far. Can't wait to see the sliced pics. Love that stuff.
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

Looks greay Alex. Which one did you like best?
        sigpic

Comment

oh man I can almost smell it from hear.looks good.
          2-22.5'' weber
          1-18'' weber
          1 smokey joe
          22.5'' wsm
          24'' smoke vault
          1-outhouse
          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

All three look beautious from here... I can't wait for your taste results to come in tomorrow!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Right then.
              I tried out all three on the sunday taste panel (5 this week) who meet up here for coffee and cakes after sunday morning dog walking.

general consensus is that all three are very good but the sweet cure is the best.
              The traditional has a nice salty bite to it, the paprika has more savoury hint to it. Personally i think I prefer the paprika one.

Anyway here's the final pics

I'll vacpack it all up later today (hoepfully) and that's us sorted for sandwich ham for some time lol

This was actually made because I put the wrong pack in the trolley at costco. I actualy wanted belly pork for pancetta. but the belly is rolled into the same size and shape as the loins, and I obviously didn't look very closely at either the price (twice what belly costs) or the meat itself when loading the trolley.
              It's a bit of a sod because we're running low on pancetta and ham levels weren't too bad lol

I also discovered that if push the meat through the slicer much quicker than I usually do, it slices more evenly and struggles less :-)
              But I think a 'cheap' commercial grade slicer upgrade is my first priority for the new year. smoked ham could be a good seller for the curious aardvark artisan food company ;-)
              Attached Files
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Looking good CA. When I made canadian bacon a while back I prefered the one I made with paprika too. Those slices look like they will make some great sarnies.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

They all look wonderful!!!
                  Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                  Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                  1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                  Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

C.A. those are absolutly beautiful. if i ever make it across the pond i'm comming to your house for breakfast.
                    Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

nice lookin CB CA!!!
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        3) Traditional Cure - this one's great if you've got a rare breed pig or wild boar. It's pretty much what the stuff you buy in the shops is cured with. Plus I think this is pretty much what TQ is (rich will know for sure)

0.52 oz cure
                        0.52 oz seasalt
                        0.52 oz sugar
                        Well..not for SURE- as they do not publish complete percentages.

But TQ does contain both nitrite and nitrate sodium forms. And I doubt it is as "strong" as 1-1 with the salt or sugar. Your mix seems quite high in the cure, but what application rate was it? All I seen was "rub liberally"?

On Edit: I found this online-

Salt
                        Sugar
                        0.5% Sodium Nitrite (preservative)
                        0.5% Sodium Nitrate (preservative)
                        Propylene Glycol
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

CA all three look award winning. great job and thanks for the info.
                          till you run out of oak.lol. you need a chain saw

for the wondefull post.
                          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Working...
                          X