Mad Hunky Rub AND Sausage Seasoning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Hunky Rub AND Sausage Seasoning?

Back when I received my bag of Mad Hunky Rub, for some reason sausage kept coming to mind. I opened it, took a whiff and a finger tip taste, and still all I could think about was sausage. So, I had a very short discussion with Rich, and came up with this.

2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs and 2 1/2 lbs pork butt. No additional fat. So 5 lbs total in the KA mixer bowl.

3 tablespoons Mad Hunky Rub (and Sausage Seasoning Mix ), 2 tablespoons Kosher salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 cup ice water.

Quick mix with the KA.

Stuffed and then left over night in the fridge.

Roasted this morning on an electric rotisserie (Not a "set it and forget it" Ronco ShowTime). I wanted to taste them without the additional flavors of charcoal, or smoke. Just the sausage. So I'd know what to do next time.

Absolutely amazing!!! Possibly my new favorite sausage. I can't think of anything different I need to do. BUT, just for grins I am going to add cure and smoke next time.
    I don't know why the color is pink. Has to be the camera, as they don't look that way in person.

Anyone that has this rub and makes sausage, I suggest you try it. It's not too spicy or sweet either.
    Rich, you need to add a recipe section to your website for things you can use the rub for.

Tom

That's awesome Tom. They look great. May have to give that a try. For being creative and sharing. Thanks.

Sprinkled some on my cottage cheese last night. That's pretty good too. Lol.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

Tom, I have made chicken only sausages with my rub which is sweeter than Rich's (BUT NOT AS GOOD ) and onions & roasted Red Peppers and really liked them. I can only imagine the Mad Hunky with some Chicken & Pork mixed together. Cure & smoke next time ...... Woooo Hoooooo!

for sure!
      sigpic

Comment

I'll be darned... I guess I'm slacking... but I WILL put a link to this post on the site.

I'm really indebted to all you folks who are using my rub in ways I'd have taken WAAAY too long to figger out! Stuff sure looks good. Guess I better do me some!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

And glad it worked out too! As Tom said... I informed him of a lower than typical rub salt and sugar content. Looks like he nailed the mods for it!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

they do look tasty gunny!
            2-22.5'' weber
            1-18'' weber
            1 smokey joe
            22.5'' wsm
            24'' smoke vault
            1-outhouse
            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Wow! Those are some tasty looking sausages. Chicken and pork. Never considered it. I'll have to give it a try sometime.
              sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

They do look good and juicey. I have yet to grind some chix thighs for sausage but after reviewing all the chicken sausages being made here It won't be long.

Comment

Yummy. Pass one over here please. Hey!! Wheres the Kraut?
                  sigpic

Comment

Dang, those look good!

Another thing to add to the To Do list.

I'd better get going on that list. It's getting away from me.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I bet they were good..

BUt, if a blind man held one in his hand he might think it a dooky, might want to git a straighter tube for sausage they kinda look pinched off
                      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Looks good from here too. Gonna have to try it.
                        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          Tom, I have made chicken only sausages with my rub which is sweeter than Rich's (BUT NOT AS GOOD ) and onions & roasted Red Peppers and really liked them. I can only imagine the Mad Hunky with some Chicken & Pork mixed together. Cure & smoke next
                          Thanks guys for the kind words.
                          time ...... Woooo Hoooooo!

for sure!
                          Thanks Scott. The reason I like Rich's rub is because of the low/no salt/sugar. You can adjust it. There are some many rubs that are much too salty for my liking.

Originally posted by DangerDan View Post
                          Wow! Those are some tasty looking sausages. Chicken and pork. Never considered it. I'll have to give it a try sometime.
                          I have to say that I prefer the chicken mixed with pork. The flavor and consistency is better, and the overall texture is much better. I was going to put in some oats as CA suggested, but decided to try pork instead, and it's certainly a winner.

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                          I bet they were good..

BUt, if a blind man held one in his hand he might think it a dooky, might want to git a straighter tube for sausage they kinda look pinched off
                          You Sir, are weird.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            I'll be darned... I guess I'm slacking... but I WILL put a link to this post on the site.

I'm really indebted to all you folks who are using my rub in ways I'd have taken WAAAY too long to figger out! Stuff sure looks good. Guess I better do me some!
                            Rich, I see you put up a link to my sausage on the website. Nice!! You gotta try this stuff Bud, it rocks. I'm even thinking of chopping some cooked sausage up and adding it some Hungarian Goulash.

Tom

Comment

Nice looking sausage, Gunny! I could think of a couple of variations of it (jalapeno/cheese for one).
                              sigpic
                              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                              X