Liver sausages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver sausages

ok this long weekend i decided to make some liver sausages with both good and bad results
    the first was Braunschweiger it looked great and smelled great it even tasted great except it did not set up for some reason it just would not hold together and when you tried to slice it it would just squish out of the casing i used Len Poli's Recipe and have done this before with great results not sure what happened
    i also made some Boudin after listen to you guys rave about it i decided to give it a try i really enjoyed this sausage it is pretty good stuff i used cajunsmoke 13 recipe i have never had anything like this before i also goofed up a bit on making this sausage i put the green onion and parsley into the pot with the other veggies when i boiled the liver and pork i still think it tasted great here is a pic of the boudin

Happyness is a full smoker

Originally posted by salmonclubber View Post
    it looked great and smelled great it even tasted great except it did not set up for some reason it just would not hold together and when you tried to slice it it would just squish out of the casing
    Sounds EXACTLY like the kind Dad used to make. I always thought it was supposed to do that. We would kind of poach it then cut the casing open and put it on a plate with eggs.

MAN that stuff was good.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Looking GOOD Huey!.... It's on my to do list (The Boudin) someday here soon. Kinda like "free-forming" most of the time....

sigpic

Comment

Good looking sausage, Huey! Thanks for posting the pics.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

If it tastes good thats what matters. I really want to give the braunswager??? a try. I am not a fan of liver but love that stuff. Never had it in a caseing anyway, always just came in a plastic type tube. I looks awful good

Comment

Can't wait to start the sausage making. My mom Is a liver fan. If I can do a good link for her, that would be cool. I'll keep this link on hand.
            Thanks.
            For everyone, , , This stuff is really important. I plan on using it all someday and please keep posting. We are listening.

JT
            JT

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
              If it tastes good thats what matters. I really want to give the braunswager??? a try. I am not a fan of liver but love that stuff. Never had it in a caseing anyway, always just came in a plastic type tube. I looks awful good
              Im with Lee all the way on this one, hate live but love braunswager.. gotta get that on the to do list asap! The boudin is right next to it, yours look sooo damn good! makes we want to run to wally world and pick up a few... YUM!!
              Great job Huey, like usual!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

i also goofed up a bit on making this sausage i put the green onion and parsley into the pot with the other veggies when i boiled the liver and pork i still think it tasted great here is a pic of the boudin
                Don't see that making any practical difference. Looks good anyway :-)

And as far as I know (or have ever had) all liver sausage is soft. Liver has no muscle fibre so won't bind or contract and stay firm :-)

You could arguably make a sausage 'with' liver.
                20% liver to pork should give sufficient liver flavour but not enough to turn the sausage soft. I'm not keen on the liver taste - so I won't be making them anytime soon :-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Salmon.... I may be wrong but it sounds like you made Pate.... when I make braunschweiger one difference between it and my pate recipie is how firm to cook it..... you could sell that for a couple bucks an ounce :) lol

Comment

Originally posted by smokeAN View Post
                    Salmon.... I may be wrong but it sounds like you made Pate.... when I make braunschweiger one difference between it and my pate recipie is how firm to cook it..... you could sell that for a couple bucks an ounce :) lol
                    A friend of mine just brought over some pate' the other day..I LOVE that stuff! And I think you are correct Smoke- they ARE pretty similar. Perhaps a longer, warmer smoke or a short simmer Huey.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice job on the boudin! It is a very tasty different and extremely filling sausage.
                      Keith

Comment

Working...
                      X