Smoked Turkey Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Turkey Soup

I saw all the meat left in bits and chunks after the turkey was all carved up and just had to do something about it.

I started out by throwing the turkey carcass cut up a bit and all the leg/wing bones into a crock pot and filled it up with water. After about 8 hours I took out as many of the bones as I could and ended up with this.

I layered some cheesecloth on top of another bowl and filtered it through it.

Since it had been a long day I wanted to get it all cooled down and ready for the fridge until the next day so I used an ice water bath to get it below 40 degrees relatively quickly.

In between stirring the soup base cooling it, I started pulling out the bone pieces that were left in the meat. This by far was the hardest part of the whole process and I had to go through it 3 times at a snail's pace to be sure I got ALL of the sometimes extremely small bones out of it. I ended up with 18 ounces of meat, but...next time I might just keep back a pound to put in later.

The next day I skimmed off the fat from the base stock. There wasn't much but I figured what the heck might as well make it as healthy as I can!

Now it all went back into the crock pot along with the other goodies. I'm not sure where I copied this recipe from but it looked like the best one out of the ones that I had. I added even more peas in the final 2 hours to my batch just because I like them in soups/stews.

2 large carrots, sliced
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 large onion, chopped
    4 chicken bouillon cubes
    1 can (28 oz) stewed tomatoes
    3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
    3/4 cup long grain rice
    1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach
    1 TBS salt, or to taste
    3/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp dried marjoram
    1/2 tsp dried thyme

Heres a shot after everything has been "crocking" for a few hours. Smelling good!

And time to eat!

Wow smokeguy, that's one great looking plate. Kudos Bud...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Nice...I love turkey soup, but no one else here does, but they DO like the A'la King. Pretty much the same start, just thickened to gravy and poured over biskets. Hmmm tomatoes, eh? Interesting...never tried that in a poultry soup.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks real fine..... I thought I was starting to smell it through my monitor the more I stared at the finished picture in the bowl.....
        sigpic

Comment

That looks yummy..... just gotta love soup!

Comment

Man....that sure is a fine lookin meal! Nice!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thanks everyone for looking! Hopefully it'll warm you up some on this cold day it looks like most of us are having today (44, rainy and windy here and we had the sliding doors open on Saturday. )

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Hmmm tomatoes, eh? Interesting...never tried that in a poultry soup.
              I just HATE tomato soup but I LOVE tomatoes so I figured since they were already stewed maybe it wouldn't dominate the taste. You can see they didn't really break down anymore so I'm glad I left them in there for the richness they added.

Comment

wow that looks really good love to have a bowl of that....i remember years ago mom would make all kinds of stuff from leftover turkey....tacos , soups, casserole , turkey & dumplings.....good stuff
                Mike
                Oklahoma City
                22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                Weber 22.5 Performer
                GOSM 3405gw
                Boomer Sooner Drum
                Maverick ET-732
                Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Great looking soup..........

Comment

Yummie yummie warm and fuzzy!
                    I have a big old bunch of turkey carcass and that just might be Sunday dinner, it is supposed to be raining here by then and that soup is perfect!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Cause I cant have some............................ Dang good lookin vittles
                      sigpic

Comment

Mmm, for that. Love turkey soup.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                        X