Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools

I thought this was an interesting forum name. Since I'm pretty much a DIYer, (as are most of us) and tool nut and have quite an assortment of tools, I thought I'd make my first significant post in this area, but a bit differently - unique tools I've used to modify and build my smokers. Please feel free to embellish this list as you see fit.
    I'll include a few pics where I can, but I'm too lazy to go take any so they might be stock pics. Anyway, I've used the usual things like jigsaws with metal cutting blade, hacksaw, drills and drivers, but a couple that are real gems for the home builder are first, a set of unibits. They will drill clean holes in light sheet metal up to around 1/4 thickness, in diameters up to 1 3/8". I use a set from Harbor Freight which have held up surprisingly well even drilling porcelain coated steel on my freezer conversion. Another Horror Freight item that has proven pretty useful on that build, and subsequent mods was a set of ductwork crimpers. Great for making vents fit when cut down or modding one to work in a particular area. Neither of these are real pricy esp from HF and make work a lot easier.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

mulepackin
    I promise I am not thread stocking you, but another GREAT thread.

I am not familiar with, but have seen those drill unibits that you posted a pic of but am uncertain how they work? (It appears they work like a Fostner bit?)
    I am very familar and own all types of drill bits; but whenever I see these, I find they are interesting..... I guess I should just pick up a set and try them.

Between Sears and Harbor Freights is my tool purchasing sites.
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

This is where I need some education... what are those things??

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Uni bits er great, got em up through I think 1 1/4, make buildin a drum alot easier. The pipe crimpers we use all the time at work, another life saver when ya need em!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
          I am not familiar with, but have seen those drill unibits that you posted a pic of but am uncertain how they work? (It appears they work like a Fostner bit?)
          They have either a single (or in the case of the "real" Unibit brand) or double flute cut the length of the bit, providing the cutting surfaces for each "step". Work pretty darn well for sheet material.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hey check out these plans for building your own metal forge in your shop. Found it on Popular Sciences webpage.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...middle-inferno
            sigpic

Comment

I think I will have to pick up soome of those unibits next time I go to Harbor Freights.
              www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post

This is where I need some education... what are those things??
                Sister...they are step bits....Pilot hole start drilling they step up to the diameter ya need. Oww....Louie! won't make it adult!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  They have either a single (or in the case of the "real" Unibit brand) or double flute cut the length of the bit, providing the cutting surfaces for each "step". Work pretty darn well for sheet material.
                  Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                  Sister...they are step bits....Pilot hole start drilling they step up to the diameter ya need. Oww....Louie! won't make it adult!
                  Yep, this is it exactly. They cut a much cleaner hole in thin sheet metal, with virtually no distortion as you would get with a standard twist drill.

So while I'm on the subject of holes, my next entry is a good set of hole saws. I only keep a few sizes in my home shop, but we have a huge assortment at the ranch shop. We pretty much exclusively use Lenox bi-metal. They cut cleanly and have handled up to 3/8 steel. Make nice clean holes for dampers, drafts etc.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Flap Discs

Todays installment are flap discs. These are a great alternative to solid grinding wheels. They leave a very smooth and clean finish when grinding down welds, as well as not removing to much material too fast when prepping for grinding. I have found that just like sanding wood, if I reduce the grit size, I can end up with a nearly paint ready surface. There are many different manf. now but I use Nortons only because they are handy and reasonably priced at HD. They work well and seem to last quiete well too.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

the uni bits from HF or even Northern will wear out quikly tho. At least according to the drum buileders in the UDS thread at the breathren. But, as they mentioned, will do 2-3 drums before wearing out.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I think I will have to pick up soome of those unibits next time I go to Harbor Freights.
                        i saw some @ lowe's yesterday $39-$53

when did these things get so expensive??
                        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                        cast iron Hibachi
                        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                        & rotisserator
                        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                        my music recordings-
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Harbor Freight have 3 different choices - http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...ord=step+drill

The one for $19.99 is on sale for $12.99 through 12/26/09 with a coupon.
                          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Harbor Freight have 3 different choices - http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...ord=step+drill

The one for $19.99 is on sale for $12.99 through 12/26/09 with a coupon.
                            The 3 piece set I show in the pic is often only 8.99 at HF.
                            sigpic

Comment

The ones from HF, I got a couple sets a them when they was on sale cheap. Ya know, I done alotta drillin with them an there still workin perty darn good, includin drillin through enameled steel. Well worth the cheap investment.

Know what ya mean bout hole saws mule, over the years I've gathered a large selection a them. Darn things sure be handy. Amazin all the different uses ya find fer em.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X