Bison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison

Did some computer repair for a lady at work, and I got some bison in trade. I have never smoked it, and was wondering if anyone on the forum had some input on how to treat it? I ended up with 3 approximately 2 lb cuts labeled "roast" and another one labeled "sirloin", as welll as some hamburger. I have grilled bison hamburger with success in the past, but am at a loss as to how to treat the roasts and sirloin. I plan on making jerky out of one of the roasts, but would like to cook the rest in the smoker.

As lean as it is, do I treat it like beef or venison, or should I bacon wrap it, or what? Lardons come to mind, but I dont want to do something that is going to make it taste less like bison, and more like something else.

Any recommendations are welcome.
    Avid Meatatarian
    Remember, it's not just a choice, its a lifestyle!

I think you'll be OK smoking without special treatments. Just keep it to the rare side. A coat of O.O. and a bit of rub perhaps...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Mossy Mo is the best source of info on Bison. His F-I-L raises em. He will be along sometime, and help you out.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

more than likely you will want to treat like venison. if its tender cuts you will want to pan fry or grill/broil and not overcook... med rare would be my choice, med at the absolute tops. if tougher roasts then a slow cook will prolly do it better just as in a tough cut of beef.

adding bacon, maybe in a wrap or something, or larding will aid in adding some fat which will help keep the meat from drying out and becoming tough.
        adapt to your smoker as you see fit. share your results with us!!!
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

The way we do our bison is fairly simple. First, never allow your smoker to reach over 225 or dip below 210, stability in temp is very important. Season the meat ;ike you would a beef roast or steak. Wrap some bacon on it. Pull it out of the smoker at 145 to 150. Best if you have a remote thermo to use rather than an instant temp probe. You want to open that smoker as little as possible and that includes the firebox. Maintaining humidity in there is very important. If you can put the roast on a rack in a cake pan with apple juice or plain water will help a lot. Some other things you'll be interested in doing is foiling up some potatoes or corn on the cob and smoking them at the same time or a pan of beans. After its all done, sit down and enjoy it. Let yourself reflect on your work and make some mental notes to tweak it to your likings for the next time. Then hop on here and gives us your thoughts. Those are some expensive cuts of meat you had been given, enjoy them. Bison jerky I am not to fond of, give me venison anyday, bison burgers are ok.
          sigpic

Comment

Forgot something in my other post on this subject. That was my method, my wife has her own, but she cheats. She takes the bison roast and puts it in one of those oven cooking bags along with carrots and potatoes and cooks it in the oven. Tastes great, but no smoke flavor.

Also, in my post I didn't mention wood. I use cherry and apple. I would like to use mesquite or oak, but both of them burn hotter and effects the temp holding pattern, also, they are drier woods. The moisture content of cherry and apple supplements things well.
            sigpic

Comment

hammerpb
              Loooks like you got plenty of good quality suggestions as low n' slow is the answer. Also as lean as buffalo is, cooking it well done is not very tasty.

Walking Dude
              Believe it or not, we have had a tough time getting buffalo to eat for the last 5 months,even with the pasture 50 yards from our house; dang people keep buying to meat before get them harvested, leaving the freezers empty.
              --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
              www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Yep, I would suggest treating it like venison. Even if you just draped bacon over it. It shouldn't change the taste, but will help keep it from drying out. Just keep it on the rare side and you should be fine. I've got a small one saved for the smoker.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Thank you all for the input. looks like it is low and slow with pecan ( don't have any fruit wood) and a water pan under it , bacon draped. Man, I can't WAIT for this weekend.
                  So should I pull it at 145 or try to hit 145 with the carryover? I think the latter, but just want to make sure.
                  Avid Meatatarian

Comment

Originally posted by hammerpb View Post
                    Thank you all for the input. looks like it is low and slow with pecan ( don't have any fruit wood) and a water pan under it , bacon draped. Man, I can't WAIT for this weekend.
                    So should I pull it at 145 or try to hit 145 with the carryover? I think the latter, but just want to make sure.
                    Well... you can always cook it a bit more, but not less- and for re-heating purposes, should any be left, the rarer the better... Carry-over to 145. Perhaps pull at 140. 5 degrees is pretty common- sometimes more...mostly less than 10 tho, especially at low temps.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Or 140.75 even lol

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Well... you can always cook it a bit more, but not less- and for re-heating purposes, should any be left, the rarer the better... Carry-over to 145. Perhaps pull at 140. 5 degrees is pretty common- sometimes more...mostly less than 10 tho, especially at low temps.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                        Or 140.75 even lol
                        Ive GOT to get a better thermometer
                        Avid Meatatarian

Comment

Working...
                        X