Made up 2 Types of Chipotles n Adobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made up 2 Types of Chipotles n Adobo

Been making this with my smoked peppers for years.Recipe is from coyote cafe in New Mexico

7-10 medium sized chipotles
    1/3 cup onion,cut into 1/2 inch strips
    5 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 cloves garlic sliced
    4 tablespoons ketchup
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 cups water

Combine everything in pan and cook on low heat until chiles soft and you have 1 cup liquid...

6 of my smoked red japs and 6 smoked serranos

Ready to reduce for 1 and 1/2 hours plus

The rehydrated chipotles after 1 and 1/2 hours plus of stewing in pan.

1 cup of smokey liquid from the original 3 cups.

I think The key to this version is my homemade ketchup-with my fresh tomatoes.This ketchup needs to sit 2 months minimum.

I made this catsup almost 3 months ago....

I food process everything in the sauce pan except the 2 types of chipotles.I can the 2 different smoked peppers in seperate 1/2 pint jars in equal parts adobo.I process the 1/2 pints as needed for bbq sauces etc and keep em long term after waterbathing...

Simple and tastes way better then the stuff in stores around these parts...
    Last edited by ALX; 12-04-2009, 10:45 PM.

OK Alex...let me get this straight...You boil the smoked pepps in the liquid. Then use the liquid to make catsup...Then you can the rehydrated pepps in adobo...How do you make adobo...or have I got it all wrong?
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Alright! Those look and sound really good Alex. You are an awesome culinary artist!
      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
        Alright! Those look and sound really good Alex. You are an awesome culinary artist!
        I agree with UH. Simply awesome... ...
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

I'm knowin that will be good.....hmmm.....2 months, racin starts in 72 more days....near about right!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Whoops....No you just do the recipe straight up....I just use my ketchup.I have done recipe with the standard crud(ketchup) sold in stores and i was just showing/saying my ketchup with all the spices adds tons of flavor....My ketchup is what needs to age 2 months plus for the pickling style spices to bloom...

The smoked/dried peppers are stored in the adobo(sauce) The ketchup is just an ingredient.

I do take some of the chipotles and use food processer to blend with some of the adobo and add to my homemade ketchup...Also kicks up any bbq sauce...

You gently simmer the smoked/dried peppers in the simple ingredients listed -not boil-until you have 1 cup total-you start with 3 cups.I keep the re-hydrated peppers whole in the 1/2 pints of adobo(sauce) for later blending/food processing .Some folks blend up the peppers and sauce and then can.

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
            OK Alex...let me get this straight...You boil the smoked pepps in the liquid. Then use the liquid to make catsup...Then you can the rehydrated pepps in adobo...How do you make adobo...or have I got it all wrong?
            Last edited by ALX; 12-04-2009, 10:38 PM.

Comment

That's some super looking peppers Alex! Nice job again.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

more importantly how do you make the chipotles ?
                I smoked a bunch of chillis recently and they seemd to have lost all the heat.
                Fortunately when i powdered the lot a reasonable amount of heat reappeared (probably the seeds).

So I've at least got a really smoky powdered chilli mix.
                But be interested to know what temps/times you smoked the chillis for to make chipotles with heat.

And what's adobo ?
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Chipotles in adobo are chipotles that have been stewed in alightly seasoned liquid.
                  Many types of seasoned liquids for the adobo,but the smoke/dried peppers are the constant.

These are some of this years red japs i smoked at 100-115 degrees for 6 hours.Traditional chipotles are cold smoked until dry.

After 6 hours of smoke i dehydrate at 115 degree for 2 days.This ways i retain the red color and get alot of the smoke flavor.The traditional ones are cigar color and to dark for the chiles and rubs i make and people request from me for comp red chile etc...

Some of my red japs.I let them ripen deep red(3 weeks plus)

Ready for smoker.I use light woods-pecan,peach,apple

Dehydrated.10 pounds fresh is now 1 pound dry..

I like them red-lower temps does this.These are hot and smokey.Splitting in half allows alot of smoke penetration in short period...

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  more importantly how do you make the chipotles ?
                  I smoked a bunch of chillis recently and they seemd to have lost all the heat.
                  Fortunately when i powdered the lot a reasonable amount of heat reappeared (probably the seeds).

So I've at least got a really smoky powdered chilli mix.
                  But be interested to know what temps/times you smoked the chillis for to make chipotles with heat.

And what's adobo ?

Comment

thanks for that - very informative worthy in fact.

Well I pretty much did everything wrong lol
                    smoked them whole at a much higher temp than that. I did finish them off in the dehydrator, so that was okay :-)
                    mind you the final powder has turned out pretty decent - not sure how, but glad it did lol.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks Alex,,, I am intrigued by your post. I don't own a dehydrator , if I maintain the temps you said can I dry them in my smoker after there smoked? Lloyd

Comment

Great post Alx! You got doing it right down bro!
                        Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                        Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                        SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                        Yoder Wichita
                        Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                        Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                        Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by Drawerdoc View Post
                          Thanks Alex,,, I am intrigued by your post. I don't own a dehydrator , if I maintain the temps you said can I dry them in my smoker after there smoked? Lloyd
                          otherrs on forum do them much hotter temps say 200 degree or up and get good results...You could also put oven on low with door cracked and finish them after smoking...You will need experiment how much smoke you want though....

ChefROB from arizona just posted some using the amazing-smoker deal....i had baby sit the deal in day and harshed out some peppers....

so humid here when me chiles ripe i just used dehydrators....I gonna build a amazing smoker style box and give whirl as that is pretty much hands off ....

ROB posted his....

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15728

Versatile and i like others grown fond certain profiles of chiles....Taste cant be storebought....the vinegar/adobo seems be up for pickins like a pickle recipe etc........
                          Last edited by ALX; 06-30-2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Damn right Alex!

Homemade chipotles in adobo...
                            I'm gonna go to the store right now and give the finger to all the cans of chipotles they have there.
                            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

OK.. I want a pint of that. Let's work that out. Great stuff, ALX. And sure...
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X