Help me build my dream smoker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me build my dream smoker!

Time to move up to something better than the Brinkman garbage can.
    I have been looking on craigslist for a smoker or cabinet to make into a smoker. Was considering a Bradley until I came across this...

It is an Alto-shaam cooker-warmer commercial unit. It has in wall heating elements with convection in the walls for even heating. Low temp is 100, highest temp is 350. It is made to hold low temps well and evenly. And it is a 110V unit! These things are like $5K new.... kind of a shame to hack it up into a smoker
    So, this baby will hold low temps very well and even, but now I need to get it smoking.
    I did some research on a smoke generator and liked this idea
    http://www.transpave-showcase.com/smoke/
    And went to work building something similar but a little more robust out of Stainless material i had around.

So, i will play with it tomorrow when I get the compressor rigged up and see how it smokes.
    What I need help from you guys is to give me feedback on where, how and what I should do for draft, venting, and such. The sides of this oven are a no-no as heating is done through it. As far as I can tell the back and bottom are good to go, but I need to verify tomorrow that there is no heating going on there.
    So, if this thing is fairly air tight, how big of a vent and stack would you start out with?

Heck you don't have to hack the Alto- just add a small inlet and output :{)

Umm for scale..how big is that generator you got? Those are spice jars in the background? Looks like a 5 gallon tank in the second pict LOL!

I am not convinced of the "smoke generator" idea yet. Just me. Pit and coals or lump gives me the thin blue I have so come to love and strive for. But as I mentioned in Dan's thread... perhaps over a long haul/aging it's not so "strident" of a smoke. I don't think I'd like it on ribs. But then again- I have never tried it.

I'd think cool smoking would be the application for that puppy. Oh, and keeping hot smoked Q ready to go!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

The generator is made from 3" pipe.. LOl, no not a 5 gallon can. those are cookie jars in the back ground. so it is just a hair bigger than the coffey mug version. The smoke generator can be adjusted to give a very small amount of smoke (so it says) by adjusting the air sent into the bottom of the generator Via the valve in the hose. Basicly the small lump of lit charcoal is just to get it started and then covered with the chips. It would snuff out if not for the forced air via the little compressor. The trick is to play with it until you get a very small amount of smoke but enough forced air to keep it going. It works very much like an outdoor wood furnace does but just keeping enough air to smolder.
      the oven inside is about 24 wide, 20 high, and 30 deep. So, any guess on a starting size for a vent?
      see the second picture of the oven, in the door there is little louvered areas, those are vents that are adjustable from the inside. I have doubts they will be big enough to work though, and big enough to remove moisture when needed.
      Last edited by schmalts; 12-04-2009, 09:08 PM.

Comment

YEs, I understand the principle- I just am suspect of the "smoldering" idea. A certain temp in the pit- OR whereever the smoke is made... should be maintained for optimum quality of smoke. IMO anyway. But I'm not gonna argue with results. Carry on soldier!
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by schmalts View Post
          /SANY0001.jpg[/IMG]

Ok, I used to smoke with these canisters way back, when smoke was cheep!!!!!
          Now I smoke meat................. lol
          I like the cabinet, good pics there Schmalts!
          20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
          36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
          22" webber
          several burners
          pool/spa (of course)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thepoolguy View Post
            Ok, I used to smoke with these canisters way back, when smoke was cheep!!!!!
            Hehehehe "Those were the days, my friend- we thought they'd never end..."

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Hehehehe "Those were the days, my friend- we thought they'd never end..."
              powered bong??
              The reason I am going with this method so far is I am lazy... I figued I will have a smoker that regulates temp with a dial, and smoke with a air valve. Maybe not for the purist, but hey like I said, i am lazy and anything wil be better than the brinkman garbage can, laying chunks of wood next to an element and babysitting it so the thing stays under a million degrees. That thing pissed me off for the last time

Comment

Originally posted by schmalts View Post
                powered bong??
                "I refuse to admit anything on the grounds that someone may inseminate me"

I LOVE this country!

Comment

Did some work on it today, gonna try it out Sunday!
                  Testing the smoke generator...
                  here is a little video

a little smoke setting

Al lot of smoke setting by opening the air valve

Here is the only vents I have right now. I do have 2 more lower in the door as you can see but I want to keep them closed to keep the chamber temp even

The smoke tube is nothing more than a stainless gas appliance hook up

The smoke is real sweet smelling too! much nicer than that crap I got by laying wood chunks next to a heating element. I had the thing going for a few hours out in the driveway and my car was parked next to it. I got in it to go to the store to get some meat for Sunday and my car now smells like a smoke house, but even that was a good sweet smoke.
                  So, by looking at the vents, do you guys think I need more for this style of system?

Comment

This is a totally different way of going about it than I use. So I'm no expert. But it seems to me that you don't really need much ventilation at all. The main reason that adjustable ventilation is important to me is to control my temps/burn rate. But if yours is done with elements and a thermostat, you only need it to circulate the smoke. Sounds like you got it. The only way to know is, start smokein'
                    Good luck

JT
                    JT

Comment

I've never used anything like that but here are some thoughts to consider.

The smoke should be light and thin. With my CG I sometimes cant even see smoke but the flavor is there. I avoid smoldering wood in favor of clean burning flames. However thats not an option for you.

As for vents/exhaust...If the smoke doesnt exit the chamber well enough you will get a very strong stale smoke and that isnt what you want. If you can regulate the heat as well as you say then you wont go wrong with more exhaust.

My 2 cents...

Keep us posted on results or improvements. I want to see that thing with meat in it.
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

schmalts
                        I have the Big Kahuna made by Smoke Daddy - http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/ it operates on the same principle. I picked mine up for cold smoking.

With your smoker project I think you will want a fresh air intake and an exhaust just for your smoker and the products you are smoking to breathe. Airflow is essential in my opinion.

By the way, I love the cabinet you found, it should make you a dandy smoker. If you do not mind me asking, how much were you able to pick it up for?
                        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

WAAAAYYYYY too much smoke.
                          if it looks white - it's too thick and the amount that can was kicking out would be sufficient for a decent sized smoke SHED.
                          Love the oven though, okay electric is costly to run but easy to control and thermostatically controlled temps can't be beat.

Because you're dealing with a well sealed and fairly small unit - and over a fairly long period of time your smoke flow just needs to be small. think the amount of vapour you'd get from say 3-4 cigarettes smouldering at once. That's all that cabinet would need.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            WAAAAYYYYY too much smoke.
                            if it looks white - it's too thick and the amount that can was kicking out would be sufficient for a decent sized smoke SHED.
                            Love the oven though, okay electric is costly to run but easy to control and thermostatically controlled temps can't be beat.

Roger that, the smoke pictures were more of a "lets see what it can do" thing. I have probably about what was in the first picture going now.

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                              schmalts
                              I have the Big Kahuna made by Smoke Daddy - http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/ it operates on the same principle. I picked mine up for cold smoking.

With your smoker project I think you will want a fresh air intake and an exhaust just for your smoker and the products you are smoking to breathe. Airflow is essential in my opinion.

By the way, I love the cabinet you found, it should make you a dandy smoker. If you do not mind me asking, how much were you able to pick it up for?
                              I picked up for $100 on Craigslist.
                              My biggest worry about putting more draft and vents is maintaining an even temp when it is cold out like today (30F). This is a 110V unit and only maxes out at 350 and I think it takes all it has to get there indoors. It is chugging away at 240 top shelf and 220 6 inches lower. Makes me worry what the bottom 3rd is at. If I did do more vents I could make them adjustable as I am sure summer time cooking would be no problem with them wide open. I am hoping you guys can give feedback on what and where I would locate them to get a good circulation for even temps. Sides and bottom are no-no as the heating elements are there. Door, and back are a go, at any height.

Comment

Working...
                              X