Monday Tri Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday Tri Tip

Did a tri tip on the UDS today. Used some Pappy's seasoning.

Here it is with a little Pappy's on it. Wife and the kids don't like too much. Tastes pretty salty if you get carried away with it.

Here it is on the UDS.

It was still cloudy and rainy out. Sorry about the dark pic.

Here it is about an hour later when the sun came out for a couple of seconds.

And here it is sliced.

I'm still kind of experimenting with the Kingsford Comp Briquettes. I have a hard time keeping the temps below 260° with it. (My drum has 3 3/4" intakes and 8 1/2" exhaust holes.) I tried the standard 1 cap off and valve about 1/3 open. I only started 8 briquettes in the chimney, and brought it up real slow and things were going along at about 245° until I lifted the lid to put the meat on. It shot up a bit and dropped a bit but didn't want to come down past 255° or 260°. Now at this time the temp is being measured somewhat off center of the grate because the meat is on the center of the grate. Ended up running most of the time with 2 caps on and the valve all the way open but I didn't want to choke it down anymore. I am a little gun shy about choking the air off too much.

When I lifted the lid again to check the temps it bounced up and wanted to run about 285°. I wasn't too worried since I usually cook them at much higher temps anyway but I would like to be able to keep the Kingsford Comp stuff under control. I am going to do a 10.5 pound brisket on Fridsy and I don't know if I should chance it with the new stuff or just go with some RO briquettes that I have had good luck in the UDS with. I'm kind of leaning towards the RO right now.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Looks pretty juicy, lil more done than I like, but that would be perfect for the family!
    Good thread, thanks for taking us there.
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Nice job DDave, I love tri-tip and guess I'll have to do one this weekend, thanks for the inspiration.

Brinkmann Smokin' Pit Deluxe: heavy gauge, modified
      Weber 22.5 Gold
      Weber Smokie Joe

"Racing Cars and Smokin' Q, what else is there to do ?"

Comment

Nicely done.. Looks very juicy
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Nice job. Looks nice and juicy.
          Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
          1 Maverick ET-73
          1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Nice job Dave!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
              Looks pretty juicy, lil more done than I like, but that would be perfect for the family!
              Yeah, a little more done than the wife and I like as well. She had to go to a meeting about the time it was ready so I wrapped it in foil and a towel and let it set for about an hour to keep it warm. Probably would have been just right when I pulled it off. Should have pulled it off earlier I guess if I was going to hold it. Very juicy though.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                Yeah, a little more done than the wife and I like as well. She had to go to a meeting about the time it was ready so I wrapped it in foil and a towel and let it set for about an hour to keep it warm. Probably would have been just right when I pulled it off. Should have pulled it off earlier I guess if I was going to hold it. Very juicy though.

Dave
                I figured something like that might have happened since ya said ya held it for an hour. LOL, talk about willpower.
                Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

That looks pretty darn good! I will have to try it again. I tried a london broil once and it was so tuff I could hardly eat it. I have stayed away from these type of cuts since.
                  Yours looks good enough to make me wanna take another shot at it.
                  "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                  PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
                    I tried a london broil once and it was so tuff I could hardly eat it..
                    Jeff, I did a LB a few weeks ago that I got from Publix and it came out great.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476

I'm going to have to give Scott a call this week and order me up a Tri-Tip, I've gotten two from him and they both came out melt in your mouth tender.

Weber 22.5 Gold
                    Weber Smokie Joe

Comment

You can show me how its done then!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
                        You can show me how its done then!
                        We could put it on the list for the future smoke get together.
                        * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Weber 22.5 Gold
                        Weber Smokie Joe

Comment

That works for me!

Comment

Working...
                          X