Chile Pasado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chile Pasado

Chile Pasado ~ Before the days of refrigeration, chile was preserved by drying. If
    allowed to dry on their own chile turns from green to red as shown in the picture
    on the left. Many recipes call for "green" chile and after the growing season the
    only way to get the green chile is canned or dried. The method here is to dry
    roasted green chiles. The other method was to make Chile Cocido.

Chile Pasado translates to: Chile from the past, a method for drying roasted
    green chile. Many places in Mexico still use this preservation method. Chile
    Pasado bought in stores is very expensive.

Roasted Green Chile (with stems)

1. Roast chile. Carefully peel off skins leaving stem intact. Using a 12 inch
    piece of twine, tie 3 to 5 chiles each at both ends.
    2. Hang chiles over a line and allow to dry in the sun.

Do NOT allow to get wet. Drying time will vary with humidity. Chile will dry to a
    very dark green color. To use in recipes, reconstitute in water. Use as you would
    for most green chile recipes. Or this can be ground into a powder.

I really enjoy the green more then the red. makes great rubs for meat.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Man,you let the pepper out of the bag.....

I cannot dry naturaly with the humidity here....I dehydrate about 20 pounds of my roasted everyyear...20 pounds fresh is 10 pounds roasted and seeded which equals 5 pounds dehydrated....I love it on jerky and it reallly flavors my roasted green chile....

I could only imagine what it costs...

Roasted

Dehydrated

Comment

I am SERIOUSLY lacking in pepper lore and practice. Thanks Bill- You da MAN!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
        Man,you let the pepper out of the bag.....

I cannot dry naturaly with the humidity here....I dehydrate about 20 pounds of my roasted everyyear...20 pounds fresh is 10 pounds roasted and seeded which equals 5 pounds dehydrated....I love it on jerky and it reallly flavors my roasted green chile....

Roasted

Dehydrated

ALX,

you are ahead of the class thats for sure. your garden is way cool. and your knowledge is far reaching on gardening.

they say the Hatch green chili is the best in the world. period. But several years ago a study was done by the univercity here. and they said that Hatch,NM had over used the fields and that now Deming,NM is producing the best. I can not tell the differnce myself. But, these would be the Big Jims sandia, barkers, lumbre and a host of other long green chili peppers.
        they are addicting for some reason. tons are shipped out every season by farmers to folks who used to live here or folks that were here a while and have eaten them. and as time goes by, seems folks move up on the heat scale and want the next hotter variety. the mexicans here grow un-named variety's that are so hot for their use, they make folks not used to heat sick when they try them.
        As one old chili farmer told me, they can make the peppers so hot with todays science. no one could eat them. and they have reach a heat that is tasty and hot at the same time which the new pepper is called the lumbre some farms has it as 1-x others have it up to xxx hot. taste great.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

[QUOTE=ALX;76039]Man,you let the pepper out of the bag.....

they are selling it here at the farms for $5.00 small plastic sandwich bag with about 10 barkers in it(they are smaller but hotter chili's) and it is normally hard to find for sale. the one farm I go to has 50 lbs it looks like they did. will be gone fast. here it is normally chopped up and used in pork recipes.

Comment

Thanks for the info Kyote.It sure is real good stuff...I need to make a big old pot of green chile and Soon....

Comment

I'll have to dream as I might have a shot next year but doubtful.
              Pete
              Large BGE
              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

I have aquired some sun dried Lumbre from Hatch, that is one hot MoFo. I'm currently growing a couple of Lumbre plants, but not sure as to what will be produced. Reason being is that Lumbre is a hybrid, according to what one grower told me. I grew mine from the seeds in the dry pods.I'll know by next season.
                GOSM Big Block
                Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
                Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
                Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

the guys working on my roof are all mexicans and some speak very little english. they all wanted to know about the lang. so I gave them a tour of it and told them how it worked.(I think the boss is going to order a 84 deluxe with warmer and grill) I showed them the rubs I had and told them I really liked chili and loved the chili pasado and showed them the small bags I had of it. and told them it was hard to find. I gave them all a small sprinkle bottle of rub to try and told them how to use it. well today they brought me a basket ball size ristra of chili pasdo and they said it is very hot. so I broke one off and ate it. very hot as they stated.(looking for smiley with flames coming out all orfices) pretty cool. I never had seen a pasado ristra and they are small not like the red ristras at all. very differnt. all differnt sew color threads as if every one sat down and started threading chili with differnt spools and tied it to the heavy wire, will take photo and one day it will get uploaded with the help of some geek I guess.

Comment

I have been trying differnt peppers, and found this will work with all green type peppers. so far so good. and the taste is great.

Comment

Working...
                    X