Stale stanky smoke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stale stanky smoke!

Well, it worked great yesterday but today I fired up the smoke generator to test out an aquarium pump to use as the air supply and the smoke was reall bad coming into the oven. It seems the gas appliance hook up tube has condensation build up and that got stale?? I don't know what it is but the sweet smelling smoke of yesterday is gone! I may have to pipe it with something that has no corregation where moinsture can hide, I don't know, anyone ever have sooty stale smoke all the sudden?

I think it's creosote that you smell.

Tom

Comment

Does it smell like a railroad tie?

Did ya clean out the smoke generator?

Did ya eat to many beans?
      sigpic

Comment

If it is indeed condensation, maybe when finished smokin for the day if you could run an air line to it for a bit to dry it out would help.

Comment

To avoid creosote you will need sufficient air flow to keep the smoke from building up and keep the smoke thin & blue, not thick & white.
          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

I guess it could be creosote, but if it is why didn't it stink yesterday at the end of my 8 hour smoke?? and today it smells? Will creosote go stale? I guess it smells kinda like some motor oil a bit.
            I think one of my problems is too small of a hose and the corregation that captures moisture and maybe adds to the creosote. Looks like I may try some 1" copper pipe next that can be cleaned easier than the gas hook up pipe

Comment

Where to vent?

When I add a couple of 2" pipes for a stack and intake supply, where do I want the smoke stack to be on the inside? The very top of the chamber or down from the top to help keep heat in? Basicly it is a matter of how far the pipe will be shoved into the chamber being flush with the top or sticking down in further.
              My guess is the intake will be at the bottom, correct me if I am wrong

Comment

Intake at the bottom. Convection dictates that, and the exhaust up high. You may be able to tune a bit more heat in by dropping the exhaust a couple inchs into the chamber, setting up a small convection current before the warmer air exits. But exit it will.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Installed the 1.75 inch pipes for intake and stack. Seems to be able to hold temps still with the added draft. Also did good at sucking the smoke in from the generator with a short 3" dryer duct instead of the small constricted moisure building gas line hookup gizmo.

Comment

Well, I have to butts and 2 fatties on it this morning. All seems to be going real good. I will report with results and pictures later

Comment

Cool... hope ya got it tweaked :{)
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

here it is with the new vent stack added
                        [IMG][/IMG]
                        [IMG][/IMG]
                        And the smoke generator piped to the same size vent with a loose fitting 3' dryer tube for an intake

a couple butts and a Fatty cookin
                        [IMG][/IMG]
                        A finished fatty

The fatty had italian sausage, Venison italian sausage, ground venison, sun dried tomatoes, peperoni, mozza cheese, mushrooms, onions, and peppers.
                        they were good, but the sun dried tomatoes were a little too salty.

Comment

That will eat fer me n Louie!....Nice!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

That looks soooooooo good. Perfect in every way!

Comment

Great build! Just makes me pissed off that I have not built one of these yet! I have a pellet pooper which is great for most things but have been wanting to get into more sausuage, snack sticks, salami, and Summer sausage. I just don't see where my pellet pooper can help me with that. It makes amazing BBQ that neads the heat but
                              its not to good for the super low, slow and long smokes which I need right now..... I can crank out 10lb of jerky or sticks at a time but I would like to get into 25 or 50 lb or even 100lb batches so I don't have to keep making new stuff weekly.

MM

Comment

Working...
                              X