Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanna see me screw up 20 pounds of Summer Sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna see me screw up 20 pounds of Summer Sausage?

Made some venison summer sausage using this recipe... http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/summer.htm ... Except I used 10 lbs pork butt, 10 lbs venison, and 2 lbs cheddar and jack cheese. This recipe calls for a culture for tang, color, and prolonged shelf life. So they were carefully stuffed and incubated in high humidity for 24 hours.

So time to smoke! I wanted a 6 hour smoke at 100 to 120 degrees before I brought them up to 140, so I used a propane burner in the bottom of my smoker warming cabinet like I've done 100 times before. Had hickory chunks in a cast iron pan.

It was cold out so I turned up the gas a bit more than I usually do. (mistake #1)

I put a few extra chunks in for a good long smoke. (mistake #2)

I put one of the grates between the sausage and the chunks to put a smoke/ heat diffuser on it. (mistake #3)

Everything was humming along fine with some nice smoke until about an hour in. I went to check on them, and I noticed no smoke coming out, and the temps were way high. When I opened the door I saw my beautiful summer sausages laying on the grate after everything had lit on fire enough to burn the string off that held them dropping them down in a flame that was prolonged by grease on the grate and grease being melted out of the sausages.

By the time I got there the fire was out but the damage was done. These were to be Christmas gifts for some of my hunting buddies. I was devastated to say the least. After all that work.

Well I reset everything best I could and finished them laying on grates with an 8 hour smoke.

Too ugly to gift, but the flavor was excellent. A very good recipe for sure. Nice savory taste of course black pepper and whole mustard and celery seeds.

Probably would have been a good idea to cover the wood chunks with foil. The pile of chunks got too hot and caught on fire, and the rest is history.

As I was looking for some comforting words from my wife, she disgustingly said...." Rookie Mistake ".

Heres the screw view...

Keith

We have all screwed up at one time or another. It looks a little dark on the outside but internally it looks tasty

Keep your head up and your stick on the ice.
    Col. Big Guy

Comment

still looks tasty. you can always mail it here.
      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
      cast iron Hibachi
      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
      & rotisserator
      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
      my music recordings-
      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

they really do look good on the inside. Go get some foil trays and slice it up along with some sliced cheese and give em a meat and cheese tray along with a box of crackers.

Comment

Inside looks great to me bud.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

mmmm-fire roasted summer sausage! I would jump right in and help eat that. I will say that's a chicken sh*t way of keeping it all for yourself.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

like gypsy said, i will take those as a gift!

was that high temp cheese?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

The only thing that got screwed up here...was me looking into your wonderful "mess" and getting the crackers and cheese with a beer munchies! Boy I wouldn't send those any where ......but here Still looks great to me, sorry about the summer sausage heart break buddy.
                Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

you guys are not seeing the big picture...he did this on purpose so he could keep it all for himself...lol lol
                  just kidding king ..i tell you what i see nothing wrong with those i would be very grateful to have some of those...looks great inside and like everyone else said some cheese , crackers and nice cold one ... i would be very happy
                  Mike
                  Oklahoma City
                  22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                  Weber 22.5 Performer
                  GOSM 3405gw
                  Boomer Sooner Drum
                  Maverick ET-732
                  Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                  A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Sorry to hear about the damage, just chalk it up as another lesson that will help you next time around. Mistakes are not confined to rookies.
                    GOSM Big Block
                    Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
                    Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
                    Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

Thanks for the support y'all. They do taste great, but the casing wont peel where it got charred. We'll call it bark.
                      Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                        like gypsy said, i will take those as a gift!

was that high temp cheese?

I used Kraft crumbles. They held up pretty well considering.
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                          As I was looking for some comforting words from my wife, she disgustingly said...." Rookie Mistake ".
                          Aint that somethin...? Yeah you can always count on the better half for warm support...

Wrap it up in Christmas celophane and pass it out anyways.
                          sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

A NICE ROUND COOKIE CUTTER MAY COME IN HANDY ABOUT NOW stupid cap button

Comment

C'mon Keith, just call it "Blackened Summer Sausage." Tell them it's a delicacy in Texas.
                              You're a pretty good buddy, to go to all that trouble. Can I go hunting with you?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X