Sausage suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sausage suggestions?

Can anybody suggest a good book on sausage making and equipment needed?
    I've seen a lot of good looking sausage on this site, but I do not know anything about it. I think I would like to try it.
    The four seasons

salt
    pepper
    mustard
    vinegar

Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Orion Cook
    Big Easy
    Eastman Turkey Fryer
    2- refrigerator smoker in progress
    1- RF trailer build in progress
    UDS
    Brinkman Gourmet
    Great Outdoors Gas

If you want to get into sausage making... You really need this book...Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing Most if not all of us that make sausage has this book...

Then we can talk about grinders and stuffers...
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      If "bible" (lower case) is mentioned here... this is the book they mean.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

T-H has a great Ebook that I really like. Sorry, I don't have the link. Maybe T-H can post it?????

The bible is a must have as well.
        Chris
        UDS - Buckeye 1
        Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
        GOSM Wide Body
        Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
        2 Dutch Ovens
        Cabelas Grinder
        Cabelas Jerky Blaster
        Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
        Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Comment

What they said!.... There are some ebook sticky's with some good recipes on here in the sausage section. Lots of options on the equipment end of things... Give us an idea of what you are looking for (small batches, medium, etc) and that should bring some ideas out. A few here recently have done the grinder that also is a stuffer, and they seem to be pretty happy with that...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nomorecoop View Post
            T-H has a great Ebook that I really like. Sorry, I don't have the link. Maybe T-H can post it?????

The bible is a must have as well.

I damn near forgot about this book... Thanks for the reminder... For jarring the old gray mass...

Heres your Free sausage Ebook etcher....

Sausage Ebook

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              I damn near forgot about this book... Thanks for the reminder... For jarring the old gray mass...

Heres your Free sausage Ebook etcher....

Sausage Ebook

No problem!! I actually like your book better than Rytek. It's simpler & I don't have to cut the recipes in fourths to make a batch.
              Chris
              UDS - Buckeye 1
              Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
              GOSM Wide Body
              Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
              2 Dutch Ovens
              Cabelas Grinder
              Cabelas Jerky Blaster
              Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
              Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Comment

Ive found most all of my sausage's are made from pre mixed seasons .Hi mountain and lem make some awsome mixes. curles's sausage kitchen on the web has great stuff.and the guys around here share most all of thier recipies freel'y.get yourself a small stuffer and mixer and just jump in headfirst.you'll catch on in a hurry
                2-22.5'' weber
                1-18'' weber
                1 smokey joe
                22.5'' wsm
                24'' smoke vault
                1-outhouse
                Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Thanx T_H and everybody!
                  I would probably be doing out 15 - 20 lbs at a time. After reading some of the Ebook T_H sent me, I might get a wild hair and build a real live smoke house!
                  The four seasons

salt
                  pepper
                  mustard
                  vinegar

Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                  Orion Cook
                  Big Easy
                  Eastman Turkey Fryer
                  2- refrigerator smoker in progress
                  1- RF trailer build in progress
                  UDS
                  Brinkman Gourmet
                  Great Outdoors Gas

Comment

ryteks book is best for the information and textbook type info.
                    The recipes - in my opinion - are all fat and salt heavy. but adjust for personal tastes and they all work.
                    But then I started making my own sausages mainly because I can't stand commercially produced sausage, and ryteks recipes are all based on or are genuine commercial recipes - so all the bulk filler and junk is left in.

But it's the only book around that has good information on everything from the actual chemistry of curing to smoking temps, times etc.
                    plus it covers all the different varieties of sausage from fresh sausage to salami.
                    Plus there's some interesting polish recipes in the back too :-)

Another book that's worth a look is charcuterie by michael ruhlman

As for equipment. You can pretty much get away with a cheap plastic grinder and a jerky shooter or dodgy stuffing tube for the cheap grinder.
                    Actually if you've got a food processor you can use that instead of a grinder. Got a mate who makes a lot of fatties - makes all his sausage meat in his food processor (you can't buy edible sausage meat in england).

Most of us started with equipment like that.
                    But once you're hooked you'll want a decent electric grinder and a dedicated sausage stuffer.
                    horizontal stuffers are cheaper, but general consensus is a good vertical stuffer is well worth the investment.
                    A 5lb stuffer tends to balance ease of use with ease of storage.
                    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-09-2009, 05:44 PM.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

This website is a reliable source for any kind of sausage making with detailed information on every step. They also have recipes and smokehouse design.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/
                      Keith

Comment

You've gotten lots of great suggestions from some real knowledgable folks. The only think I would add is to get a few print catalogs from some of the equipment vendors, Allied-Kenco, Butcher-Packer, MidWestern Research, The Sausage Maker, and LEM are the first to come to mind. Their websites are good too. Both are not only loaded with a huge variety of equipment and things I didn't even know exist, but also tons of tips, recipes, hints and useful info on this hobby.
                        Last edited by mulepackin; 12-10-2009, 10:51 AM.
                        sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Working...
                        X